Air Lock ? Hot water nothing coming through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've a problem where the hot water is not flowing and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

This is a diagram of how the hot tank is set-up sorry for the dodgy diagram

CH = Central heating .... The thing on the left is an external emersion heater as there is no internal one.

There is no hot water upstairs .. as in there is no taps up stairs with hot water ... there is one but its mains fed with a water heater thing so no from hot tank.

I've also removed the downstairs bathroom and kitchen as part of remodeling the place...

So tonight I decided to hook up the cold pipe (mains) to the hot pipe in the kitchen following on some advice I read about this.

Turned on the mains and the water flowed up the system and filed the hot tank and proceeded to fill up the cold tank so that the overflow kicked in and started flowing outside.
At this point I stopped the mains and opened up the hot tap. Still nothing is coming out .. A little came out at first but stopped quickly.

The hot tank is now full of water but it seems no pressure to drain the water out....

My thinking is there is a problem between the cold tank and the hot tank and the cold tank is not feeding the hot but I'm unable to figure out where the problem would be..

Anyone got any suggestions for what to try next ?

Sponsored Links
When you drained down did you turn off a gate valve in the cold feed into the bottom of the cylinder? if so the gate has probably sheared from the spindle causing your lack of water flow, you will have to either freeze the pipe above the valve and replace it or pump out the roof tank to remove the water, but before doing either you need to find out if water is getting past your cold feed valve ;)

is the water level in your big tank ok? and the outlet to the cylinder ok? not blocked...?

Sponsored Links
When you drained down did you turn off a gate valve in the cold feed into the bottom of the cylinder? if so the gate has probably sheared from the spindle causing your lack of water flow, you will have to either freeze the pipe above the valve and replace it or pump out the roof tank to remove the water, but before doing either you need to find out if water is getting past your cold feed valve ;)

Not sure, The house was repossessed so when I came in the whole system was drained. And to be honest I've been turning that many things I wouldn;t know what state it was in before I started...

There is a knob thing on the large pipe that I think fills up the tank is that what you mean by spindle ? its a red valve thing that should turn the water on / off ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back