Air Seperator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the seperator on the CH. I took it out a few years ago because it was blocked! Since then I keep having problems with air in the system!Now I know what it is for :confused: I know it goes on the feed from boiler to pump,but have forgotton which way round! I know the top feed goes to vent pipe,which way do the side feeds go,is it lower feed to boiler end and higher feed pipe to pumpside. I bought the seperator from toolstation (75473)
Can anybody help please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you're having problems with air, you should look at how it's all connected up wrong and rejig the pipework so it's right.

Thanks That is my next job.too many bends near the pump, i am trying to straighten the runs out

Thanks That is my next job.too many bends near the pump, i am trying to straighten the runs out
If it's pipe up properly, you don't need the air separator. perhaps a sketch or pic so we can see whats what.

No I didn't. But have done since,a few times. the system is pretty old.I have put descaler etc in and an inhibitor.
You will have to flush that stuff out; just sticking descaler in is not going to solve the problem.
After that, you should treat it with x800 or similar, maybe even run it with hyperflush for a month before you do that.

No I didn't. But have done since,a few times. the system is pretty old.I have put descaler etc in and an inhibitor.
You will have to flush that stuff out; just sticking descaler in is not going to solve the problem.
After that, you should treat it with x800 or similar, maybe even run it with hyperflush for a month before you do that.

I flushed all the old stuff out,water is reasonably clean now, well as clean as 15 year old system can be! I have replaced,pump and put in a seperator, but still the water will not circulate.It is getting hot in the boiler,a few wobbly clunks and it shuts down.Doesn't sound like ait i think the water is boiling. All the pipes right up to the airing cupboard are cold, but very hot in the boiler. I haven;t replaced the 3 way valve, could it be that?

put both on then the valve will open both ports and release any trapped air.

Thanks for that,
Switched both on now. Feed pipe from boiler is hot but seperator which soldered right next to it is cold at the moment. Also I use to hear the valve whirr as it moved across, but I can't hear it now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back