Air Vent - Is This Illegal?

I've measured from the base unit where the break in the cable was and it's 14" away from it and 6" away from where the cable disappears. Since reconnecting the cable I haven't had any problem whatsoever with the heating.
As for the vent, I have two choices at the moment; cancel my holiday and lose my deposit or have the vent replaced. Bring on the beach!

Sponsored Links
I could probably afford about £60 for the new vent and that's about it. Just shelled out £63 for car tax, insurance due next month, need to get a new passport, pay for holiday, have money to take away and MOT due in March. £60 for the vent is all I can pay at the moment but I have until June 1st anyway and I've had no problems with the vent for over 4 years so it can't be that dangerous.

Sponsored Links
I've had no problems with the vent for over 4 years so it can't be that dangerous.

the reasoning of a fool.

enjoy your holiday, you may need it if anyone dies when you come back.

I could probably afford about £60 for the new vent and that's about it. Just shelled out £63 for car tax, insurance due next month, need to get a new passport, pay for holiday, have money to take away and MOT due in March. £60 for the vent is all I can pay at the moment but I have until June 1st anyway and I've had no problems with the vent for over 4 years so it can't be that dangerous.

Well, that changes everything. A holiday is much more important than a vent, and it has been fine for 4 years so why bother
I warned my girlfriend for years not to leave clutter on the stairs, but she said it was okay as she had put stuff on the stairs all her life. She continued doing so the rest of her life. Which ended a couple of years ago, at the bottom of aforementioned stairs.

And there we have a typical example of the great British public's attitude towards gas safety. :rolleyes:

and we all know if CO strikes it will be "the engineer's" fault

the air vent in the photo is not a suitable type to supply combustion air for a back boiler unit as it is not a type that can be sleeved through the cavity unless modified as it is flat on the inside, a vent positioned behind a rad is not NCS there are no stipulations on position, although it should be in a position to be checked ( but you could remove & refit the rad) generally these do supply about 25cm2, and a BBU with a VP3 requires 100cm2 free air.
i would recommend a core vent (approx £18 from BES) hire a core drill and take care.

VENTILATION
Ventilation air Supply to BS 5440 Part 2 is required. The
permanent ventilation area size requirements are:
SP3/VP3 & 45/4 68.54cm2 (10.62in2)
SP3/VP3 & 57/4 89.15cm2 (13.82in2)
The permanent vent may be directly into the room containing
the appliance. The vent may also be sited in another room
provided an interconnecting vent is used. The vent must not
be installed inside the builders opening. The vent should be
sited following good practice for a habitable room.
We recommend the use of the Stadium BM720 ‘Black Hole’
ventilator which is available from your local merchant.

D.Hailsham your point about regs not being retrospective is correct but not relevant, the change that comes into place tightens up existing interpretation, any open flue appliance requires Heat Input less 7kw x 5cm2, therefore the appliance has a specific vent requirement, if you come across one with less than 90% of required vent (be it from install or subsequent builder/joiner reduction) then by definition it isn't complying with MI's and is to be deemed at risk, the date of the change of classification has been know to us for about 3 years ( i think) so we have been advising clients that up to 2008 we can classify as NCS but after June we need to classify as AR so most have been changed by now. it has always been ludicrus that an open flue appliance with no purpose provided ventilation is AR but any ventilation is deemed NCS ( an example of this: you come across a BBU with no purpose vent you have a choice to call AR or drill a 10mm hole through the wooden window, therefore supplying SOME (1cm2) as opposed to NONE permanent gas vent of an approved size, because the question to answer is "is there permanent vent" answer yes and call NCS, in reality the hole in the window won't significantly improve the airflow but in law is there.

any portable apliance MUST be confirmed as safe BEFORE you issue to someone, therefore every time you get it back you should test it because you cannot confirm it was looked after when you were not there. we buy them for about £7 and rarely take them back and charge £10 for them and leave them with the customers

corgi once told me that no one is going to *******, sack or prosecute for being over cautious after i had turned a bbu off for not having proper vent. if you say ncs , next year and so on you are still writing ncs cause no one gets it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back