Air vent question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and I am seeking some advise please.

I have just had part of my back garden block paved to create a patio area.

I have three plastic air bricks and I have just noticed that the company who laid the pavers have half covered one air brick and completely covered the other one! Leaving only one completely above the patio, As you can appreciate I am a little concerned.

Can I have your thoughts please, will this be a problem for me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, the company are idiots (or employ them). The covered vents will lead to damp problems (they are there for a reason!) and the partially covered one will lead to water run off from the blocks running straight into your cavity!
The ground should have been excavated sufficiantly to allow the finished surface to be at least a bricks depth below the air bricks.
Not sure how you can remedy it without ripping the lot up, maybe someone else has an idea.

You should get the company back to correct the problem, there are ways of doing this without taking the lot up. Its up to them to sort it out. Have you paid them the full amount? If not then withhold any further payment until its done. If they refuse I would look at the Garden Law Forum for help.

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I was away when the work was completed.

I have spoken to them and they have said they will return. They have suggested removing some bricks digging down and then covering with gravel where the vents are. Does this sound correct?

Sponsored Links
That sounds OK. If the ground beneath the gravel is not well drained I would suggest a small kerb around the gravel area to avoid water ingress.

Wher is you DPC? Its usually the level the air vent sits on. If this is the case, then your entire DPC will have been compromised which will mean the entire lot abutting the wall being taken out and an alternative being found - possibly as said a gravel bed or drain system, but this should still be below the DPC and air vents. The recommended distance below a DPC for an abutting surface is 150mm.

Hi Malt & Jay the house is a new build 1 year old, the plastic DPC sits on top of the plastic air vent, so are you saying ALL pavers should be removed that abut the house should be removed and gravel laid below the vents, or just remove the pavers that are obscuring the vents and just gravel that area?

Thanks for your advice it's appreciated.

Hi Malt & Jay the house is a new build 1 year old, the plastic DPC sits on top of the plastic air vent, so are you saying ALL pavers should be removed that abut the house should be removed and gravel laid below the vents, or just remove the pavers that are obscuring the vents and just gravel that area?

Thanks for your advice it's appreciated.

Going by your photos I cannot see where the DPC is, it looks as though the slabs are above it, if so it needs sorting out.

The plastic DPC is on top of the vent, it's hard to see in the picture I will upload one tomorrow

The plastic DPC is on top of the vent, it's hard to see in the picture I will upload one tomorrow

Hello again here are 2 new images, you can see the plastic DPC on the 1st picture on the right and the air vent on the left. On the second pic you can just about see the top of the vent with the plastic DPC on top. Hope these pictures.

Hello again, must admit I did not notice the DPC problem. I would think that at minimum the row of blocks against the wall should be removed, excavated down a depth that allows a strip drain to be inserted with it's top at least 150mm below DPC and the trench filled with washed gravel.

i've seen bodge jobs like this before, don't worry easy fix.

they just need to take 1-2 bricks off around the property and allow for drainage so that the bricks are not right next to the house, like another person said.

if not corrected this WILL affect your DPC and you WILL have rising damp up your walls.

get it fixed asap before it affects the internal plaster or wall paper, easy sign is does the wall feel colder than about 2m higher....

you have them by the short and curlys... goods and services act... "without due care and attention"

hope this helps.

Thanks Nikon, I have spoken with them they have assured me they will fix and they have said they will do exactly what you described.

Thanks for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back