Garden paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I was just hoping to get some advice please?

I want to lay a patio over an existing concrete bed in my garden which will but up to my house however I am slightly concerned about where the slabs will finish in relation to the air bricks.

The concrete currently finishes 185mm below the dpc and 20mm before the start of the air brick (40mm before the first vent) and 170mm to the top of the air brick.

The slabs I am looking at are 16mm porcelain slabs and I plan to lay them on a 40mm bed. This will mean they finish at the start of the air brick but 20mm before the first vent.

Do you think this will be fine or should I remove the sections of concrete below the air bricks and fill with gravel? Or build a barrier with a grate? I’m just a bit concerned re. Flooding or rain splashing particularly after reading the NHBC 75mm recommendations.

Ideally I wouldn’t remove the concrete bed to lower the level as it’s 100mm thick and 5x3m.

Thank you for the help. Appreciate it.
IMG_8186.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Does the concrete fall away from the house currently?

If the concrete is in good condition you can lay 10mm porcelain with external tile adhesive so total height approx 15mm-20mm

Thanks, that’s a really good shout. The concrete is in good condition and falls away which is why I’m so reluctant to remove it.

Do you see any issues with the paving finishing at the height the air blocks start?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back