Airbrick below ground level, and damp wall inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an airbrick below dining room window however the concrete is above it but ground has been left lower around the brick itself leaving airflow to it, much like the one in the video below. my question is this, is that a good way to deal with the issue.

Sponsored Links
why not post a pic of your situation?
under suspended floors you should have air bricks about every 1.5m to 2m - do you?

Thanks i will upload pictures after work see if theres anything else i can do, if not il do the method in the video.

Sponsored Links
Here are some pictures any input is appreciated.
20200313_182555.jpg
20200313_182555.jpg
20200313_182549.jpg
20200313_182541.jpg

your air brick appears to be too high to be ventilating below the FFL?

what is the white box(?) thing - is it an air brick cowl/cover or something else?
on second thoughts - what looks like a cable has been embedded in the mortar bed to the left of the box?
could the box and cable be part of an Electro-Osmosis DPC system?
or even some device for killing mice?

your sunken air brick is blocked - it appears to have been deliberately blocked - perhaps a misguided attempt to prevent water entering when the "pocket" begins to fill with water?
the concrete yard surface is too high and could be bridging any DPC in the wall(s)?
previous chemical DPC injection holes can be seen in the first course of bricks - which suggests damp difficulties in your dining room?
thick layers of possibly incorrect white paint may have been applied for the same damp prevention?

the rendered wall to the left shows DPC holes in roughly the same course height as the window wall.
the rendered wall also shows a semi-blocked air brick installed far too high for venting below the FFL.

the rendered wall on the right appears to show a wood sill thats been built-into the wall, perhaps when a doorway was blocked?

all render should finish 50mm above the ground level surface or it will "suck up" moisture.

the joists might be at risk through damp cantact or lack of through ventilation?

OP,
not having all the facts all i can suggest is you dig out and down to find your below floor area and then do like the guy in the video -
or remove/lower the yard concrete to below any DPC level or below your floor joist level?

Thanks for reply, what is FFL ?.
Thats a air brick cover and no its not an inbedded cable mate.

The air brick is not blocked off its clear all the way through, and the wood on right wall is just a peice of batton that was previously holding up bamboo on that wall.

Thanks for input however not sure this helps me.

Is there a new airbrick under that white cowl?

No just the one thats pictured, i just want the best way to sort and protect it.

was thinking french drain or doing whats shown above in video

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back