Aircon in loft struggling to bring temp down

The cold comes out the letterbox flap on the side, right? What are the dimensions?

A duct adapter with a flange maybe could fit over it...

41FnQATKpWL.jpg

You would need to take the side cover off the unit first to check if it is safe to put screws through the case. In fact, you could do the joining while the cover is off. Silicon or epoxy glue all round to get a good seal, then either screw it on or use nyloc nuts and bolts and leave it to set before you re-attach it.

Sponsored Links
The cold comes out the letterbox flap on the side, right? What are the dimensions?

A duct adapter with a flange maybe could fit over it...

41FnQATKpWL.jpg

You would need to take the side cover off the unit first to check if it is safe to put screws through the case. In fact, you could do the joining while the cover is off. Silicon or epoxy glue all round to get a good seal, then either screw it on or use nyloc nuts and bolts and leave it to set before you re-attach it.

No the cold air comes out the front flap above where it says Modern Life. The vent u see is hot intake.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, that's the side surely!!! Hot air exits the hose at the back!

Anyway, did you measure it? maybe a square to round adapter would go over it...

C_B_T-g.jpg

edit: I've just seen the LED display and buttons on top, maybe your right, but I still would call that the side!!

Last edited:
No worries. I would call that the front but no problem. Thank you for the suggestion.

Do you have to be careful how long the hoses are that go on these things to vent out?

In my loft I have created a clean, and slightly insulated storage area by boarding and installing some foil bubble wrap insulation where I store and occasionally read books.......
The previous owner of our house did the same. I found them under the loft insulation a few years ago all dated in the 1970's and all priced at just 50p.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do you have to be careful how long the hoses are that go on these things to vent out?

Well, you're not supposed to add any extra hose to them, unless the manual specifically states you can. You'll be restricting the airflow, making the unit less efficient any probably shortening the life of the machine. But, how you've got it set up now isn't working at all, so you might as well just do it.

However, before spending out any money on extra parts, find out if this is going to work, or whether it is simply too much heat entering the loft in the first place(as @stem said about heat through the roof tiles) and you need more BTUs. Stack up some boxes or whatever you have under the loft hatch and put the unit on them, so that the top of the unit is as close as possible to just under the loft hatch. With cardboard and lots of sellotape, make a 'cowl vent' to deflect the cold air up into the loft. Imagine this, but pointing up...

21811-375609.jpg

That way, the loft will be under slightly 'positive pressure', which is what you want, to avoid the issues I explained earlier in the thread. Today would be ideal to test this out, it's bleeding hot already!!

Let us know how it goes! (y)

I’m out and about today so may not be able to test that however if by having the unit outside of the loft then it’s not sucking up and venting the hot air from the loft, only blowing cold air in to the loft. I’m by far no expert but surely removing the hot air by exhausting it would be best?

Sorry if not getting it.

surely removing the hot air by exhausting it would be best?

No, because of what I said before about causing a 'negative pressure' zone in the loft, and just sucking even more hot air in to replace it.

Pushing out hot air with some cold under 'positive pressure' is better than pulling in more hot from elsewhere.

No, because of what I said before about causing a 'negative pressure' zone in the loft, and just sucking even more hot air in to replace it.

Pushing out hot air with some cold under 'positive pressure' is better than pulling in more hot from elsewhere.

Just what I was about to say :)

You want the coldest "source or intake" air you can get; let the unit do the heat exchange by cooling it further and blowing it up into the loft and then getting rid of the exhaust heat as easily and as far away from the source air and loft space as you can. Remember you're trying to do the best you can with this unit, which is likely underpowered and is trying to cool a space that is not thermally stable. It's fighting a losing battle and modifying as many of the parameters as you can will help it cope. :D

Ok, I'm getting it now..

Regarding the test by putting the unit near the entry of the loft. Could I just position to vent so its pointing up and blowing into the loft (its got a swing vent that can set in one position so I should be able to send the air in to the loft whilst keeping the unit near but just outside..

its got a swing vent that can set in one position so I should be able to send the air in to the loft

As long as it blows "pretty much up", rather than sort of "up and outwards" at the same time. Sellotaping on some card to the unit and then taping the top edge of the card to the opening of the loft hatch isn't really going to be much bother or take up much time, though, is it.

As long as it blows "pretty much up", rather than sort of "up and outwards" at the same time. Sellotaping on some card to the unit and then taping the top edge of the card to the opening of the loft hatch isn't really going to be much bother or take up much time, though, is it.

Although the OP will have to work out if he does this whilst he's up there or not... :ROFLMAO:

Better to do it from below but in such a way that you can also set it up behind you, from above ;)

BTW: I'm replying to this whilst sitting in my lovely air conditioned transit :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back