Aircraft A - Z

Sponsored Links
Just checked three of my fave US aircraft manufacturers - Great Lakes, Pitts and Vans. Pitts only shows one model and there are more than that, Great Lakes shows three and there are more than that, Vans isn't even listed. So the US data is not complete. The USA completely eclipses the world when it comes to aviation so the figures are bum.

Concorde was a world leader in that no other aircraft could cross the atlantic as fast with only the fuel that it took off with. That includes all the fancy military ones.

Just checked three of my fave US aircraft manufacturers - Great Lakes, Pitts and Vans. Pitts only shows one model and there are more than that, Great Lakes shows three and there are more than that, Vans isn't even listed. So the US data is not complete. The USA completely eclipses the world when it comes to aviation so the figures are bum.

Concorde was a world leader in that no other aircraft could cross the atlantic as fast with only the fuel that it took off with. That includes all the fancy military ones.

I would love to agree with you on the prowess of the Concorde, however while i was still serving back in the 70's the Blackbird did, if memory serves me, USA to Heathrow in something ridiculous like 2hr 10mins, it had to land into the wind which meant he had to come in from the east, due to his speed he was over Amsterdam as he swung round, it was rumoured they could do mach 4.5 and could outrun the Red Top missiles that we used on the Lightning which was capable of mach 2.1 (governed by the airframe, it had to come out of reheat and throttle back) and the missiles would burn for 4secs. then glide at the aircraft speed plus mach 1.

Its a comforting thought though that the U.S. military bought two A/C types from us, the Canberra, they stuck bigger engines on it to use as we did for photographic reconisance, and of course the Harrier, they requested a supersonic version also but the government of the day said no!!

Sponsored Links
The doomed BAC TSR2 is interesting, it could out fly the lightning back then but the cost was its downfall, if billit aluminium is used and machined down it's stronger than sheet aluminium so it could outfly any other A/C.

Also of interest was Martin Bakers A/C that could out fly the Spitfire.

Yes, I remember that Blackbird record at the time. However it started the run above new york at close to max speed, and refuelled half way across.

From what I remember about the blackbird it also refueled pretty soon after its initial climb (like all aircraft it burns more fuel in the climb).

Whereas concorde would get across the atlantic with the fuel it had on board when it began its taxi out. Concorde actually managed to cruise at Mach 2 without afterburner which was an amazing technical feat. From memory the blackbird needed afterburner on to cruise as fast as concorde, and that means not enough range to cross the atlantic without refueling.

Your lightnings on the other hand were critically short of fuel minutes after taking off :)

I would love to agree with you on the prowess of the Concorde, however while i was still serving back in the 70's the Blackbird did, if memory serves me, USA to Heathrow in something ridiculous like 2hr 10mins, it had to land into the wind which meant he had to come in from the east, due to his speed he was over Amsterdam as he swung round, it was rumoured they could do mach 4.5 and could outrun the Red Top missiles that we used on the Lightning which was capable of mach 2.1 (governed by the airframe, it had to come out of reheat and throttle back) and the missiles would burn for 4secs. then glide at the aircraft speed plus mach 1.

Its a comforting thought though that the U.S. military bought two A/C types from us, the Canberra, they stuck bigger engines on it to use as we did for photographic reconisance, and of course the Harrier, they requested a supersonic version also but the government of the day said no!!

But surely the Blackbird would have had to refuel, running flat out at that distance?

The mk1 Lightning was capable of about 15mins when it was being piloted by Sqdn Ldr Pengally from TFF, target fascilities flight at RAF Wattisham, he would land with dry tanks, we had mk3's on 111sqdn, they had a ventral tank fitted under the belly, they could manage about 45mins, then i went to Gutersloh 19sqdn mk6's, they had bigger ventral tanks and were capable of taking over wing tanks which we never used, it was far easier for them to "intercept" a Victor tanker. :cool: if not they could only manage 1hr 15mins or so.

Sponsored Links
Back