Spying or just an out of control spying device?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So who do you believe then...? Personally I wouldn't trust either side but I'm inclined to think the US were probably spying. They are after all, the self designated world police!

Iran TV: US Spy Drone Shot Down By Military

Iran's military has shot down an unmanned US aircraft over the east of the country, state TV has reported.

"Iran's military has downed an intruding RQ-170 American drone in eastern Iran," Iran's Arabic-language Al Alam state television network quoted an unnamed military source as saying.

A report on English-language Press TV said the drone was "downed with minimum damage" and seized by Iranian officials.

The RQ-170 Sentinel is an unmanned stealth aircraft used for reconnaissance. It is not designed to carry weapons.

The semi-official Fars news agency, which is believed to be close to the Revolutionary Guard military force, said Iran would respond to the violation of its airspace with actions beyond its own borders.

There was no immediate comment on the claims from the US military.

The reports came amid worsening relations between the West and Iran over its nuclear programme after the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) issued a report it said showed Iran had worked on designing an atomic bomb .

Iran has insisted its nuclear ambitions are entirely peaceful, but prompted the US and European Union to agree tighter sanctions on Iranian companies and individuals.

Earlier on Sunday, Iran's foreign ministry warned that any move to extend those sanctions to block oil exports would double the price of crude.

"As soon as such an issue is raised seriously the oil price would soar to above \$250 a barrel," foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast was quoted as saying.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/iran-tv-us-spy-drone-shot-down-military-150224269.html

ISAF says drone lost over Afghanistan late last week

BONN (Reuters) - A surveillance drone flying over western Afghanistan had gone out of control late last week and may be the one Iran said it had shot down over its own airspace, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said on Sunday.

"The UAV to which the Iranians are referring may be a U.S. unarmed reconnaissance aircraft that had been flying a mission over western Afghanistan late last week. The operators of the UAV lost control of the aircraft and had been working to determine its status," an ISAF statement said.

The statement about the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was issued in Kabul and released to reporters covering an international conference on Afghanistan in the German city Bonn.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/iran-military-shoots-down-u-drone-state-tv-145517151.html

Sponsored Links
I notice the second story has changed. It now reads:

No indication drone in Iran was shot down - U.S. official

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. official said on Sunday that Washington had no indication that a drone that had crashed in Iran had actually been shot down.

In Tehran, state television quoted a military source as saying that Iran's military had shot down a U.S. reconnaissance drone aircraft in eastern Iran.

"There is absolutely no indication up to this point that Iranians shot down this drone," the official, who declined to be named, told Reuters.

The NATO-led force in Afghanistan said the drone the Iranians claim to have shot down may be an unarmed surveillance drone that was lost last week while flying over western Afghanistan.

It would seem the Americans are now disputing that the Iranians even shot down the drone.

Of course they are going to deny it, they deny everything, area 52, faking of moon landing, JFK, war on terror for oil. The mighty Americans couldn't admit to a pea shooter taking out a plane... :evil:

Sponsored Links
Since when is taking photos of things which are out in the open "spying"?

If it is, then Google Earth are the most prolific spies on the planet!

usually, flying an aircraft in another country's airspace, without their permission, and taking photographs, when under the control of an intelligence agency in the foreign country, would be considered spying.

Do you think otherwise?

usually, flying an aircraft in another country's airspace, without their permission, and taking photographs, when under the control of an intelligence agency in the foreign country, would be considered spying.

Do you think otherwise?

Do you mean potentially saving millions of lives and keeping our families safe. ?

Do you think otherwise?

Do you mean potentially saving millions of lives and keeping our families safe. ?
Lets not forget, the Americans are the only nation to have used an Atomic bomb.

LMB and Blas, I don't see that your replies are in any way relevant to the question "Since when is taking photos of things which are out in the open "spying"?

LMB and Blas, I don't see that your replies are in any way relevant to the question "Since when is taking photos of things which are out in the open "spying"?
Well to quote you John...

Do you think otherwise?
Ah! Sorry John, I just noticed you were quoting the previous respondent.

The 'original' question/post was/is mine, if the respondent wants to change the tact of the thread then that's fine.

american spy planes/drones have gone down before one fairly recently. most famous one was gary power in russia inthe 60's.
the french like to let off the occasional nuclear bomb as we have done ourselves in the south pacific(was it called bikini atoll)and I think in the outback of oz.

american spy planes/drones have gone down before one fairly recently. most famous one was gary power in russia inthe 60's.
the french like to let off the occasional nuclear bomb as we have done ourselves in the south pacific(was it called bikini atoll)and I think in the outback of oz.
In testing yeah but the Americans have actually used them against a country. So with the Americans it's a case of "I'm allowed a big stick but you aren't because 'we' don't trust you!" Hmmmm.

I don't get the point now. :confused:

Are we discussing the US dropping an atomic bomb or getting back to spying????

Sponsored Links
Back