Jet Travel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D&J wrote (elsewhere) "Just about over my jet lag now, so must get thinking about some argumentative or controversial topics."

How about the aircraft security?

Being an avid aviation enthusiast part of my holiday, up to a certain date a little way back, would be to visit the flight deck, chat to the pilots and then receive some messages back about how the flight was going, to me it was great. I used to have trouble kicking those little kids out of the way some times though.

Since that terrible incident in America, the world went crazy on aircraft security, Now no-one, not even the cabin staff can remain on the flight deck unless serving refreshment. Me? I now get constant neck ache which lasts for days, 'cos there's nothing else to do apart from looking out of the window if you're lucky.

The yanks even cause aircraft en-route to U.S.A. to turn back, with no expense to themselves if they have any bells ringing on names etc. on the flight.

Something that seems to have gone over most peoples' heads is the fact that all the aircraft used on that fateful day, were on internal flights.

It becomes my gripe, because I have even offered to be security vetted by our own security services, and the only concession I get, is being allowed to visit the flight-deck after landing.

D&J having recently flown, and probably others have also, "what about that leg room then?"

Sponsored Links
planenut said:
How about the aircraft security?
Went abroad twice last year and I didn't think that the security was that good but then again perhaps they know who to look for ????? :confused:

planenut said:
D&J having recently flown, and probably others have also, "what about that leg room then?"
Went to Dominican Republic, 9.5 hours flight with no leg room :evil:

Well, I suppose if you were to use logic to determine who rings bells and on what flights, it would have to fulfill the following criteria:

1) Be a US internal flight
2) Be a US airline
3) Be a Boeing aeroplane
4) The passenger in question would have to have learned to fly in Florida

So surely, just so long as you are on an Airbus from any non-US airline, with no pilots in the passenger list, then you should be sound as a pound.

Whoever said security has to be logical? ;)

It is said that the US security forces already knew there were plots for something like this... Now, I got searched several times by several different people at several different parts of Heathrow Airport, in the space of 10 minutes (5 of which were spent being searched!), during some international football tournament or other in 2004. You might say "well that is easier to do, you just stop anyone who looks like they might be going to watch football", but

1) I hate football, so it is reasonable to assume that there are football hooligans who don't look like they enjoy football
2) By comparison there is s*d all at stake if a few football fans have a fight.

If some English football fans have a fight with say, some Spanish football fans, regardless of who started it, we're hardly going to fall into a decade of war because of it. Can you imagine what the world would be like today if 11/9 had never happened? Not much different, but we would probably get a lot less annoyed when talking to those Americans who feel the need to work it into any conversation they can! Happened to us on... a US internal flight.

On our return trip we decided to upgrade to business class as a bit of a treat. The plane had 24 business class seats and 2 different dedicated toilets,one front, one rear of the section. There was a red/green light system indicating which was available. I went to the front which indicated available but was beaten to it by what looked like the pilot. I stood there and waited on my own, behind a curtain type division, nobody could see me, when he came out he simultaneously opened the door to the cockpit and held the toilet door open for me. I could quite easily of pushed him into the cockpit area if I wanted to. this is clearly a flaw in security, given that there are only 24 seats one toilet was enough, the pilot and his assistants within the cockpit area should have their own, which we can't get to.

If I remember rightly the American terrorists (or at least some of them) used business/first class. I am curious if customers in this area are considered less risk than economy class?

Sponsored Links
Malaysian or Thai airlines D ? Guess they may feel a little safer from terrorists for obvious reasons.
We dispensed with the idea of window seats for long haul - choosing to sit four of us across the centre section, Jumbo, last row before the escape cross deck access behind the wing - brilliant !! seat arms raised one big wide seat easy access to gangways - possibility of stretching out legs across laps while others watch the seatback movies.
I used, on two flights, a single crew seat beside a windowed door, just before the rear toilet block to have a break and a great view.
I will however, in several years time, fly to Oz in one of those seats at the very front under the cockpit, where the windows are in the curve to the nose and one can see almost directly forward ... Should be a tad quieter too -- I hope !!
P

Well, I'm happy to put up with the extra security just for the piece of mind some security guys even apologise about frisking me, I'm already convinced that we're gonna die when I fly so the thought of confronting a terrorist dosnt bother me much more!! I've already worked out what I'm going to do with him and reading poetry dosnt come into it!! leg room is a major gripe for me i'm 6ft 5ins and travel to Australia every year, I pay extra to travel business class to get the extra space, well I'm lucky that I can afford it but feel bad about the economy people racked up like cattle especially when there are empty seats in our cabin, and there,s an issue about the amount of oxygen that they pump into the cabins. anyway I was a bit ****ed of when I got home but having this moan to you guys has really cheered me up so I off to find a beer!!!
p.s Singapore airlines is the best you get a seat that turns into a bed even I fit into.

Yep, went first time with BA, then Singapore Airlines BTW Usually no aircraft greater than three years old ... Room was no real problem for us normal beings ...... 1998 spent ages on the flight deck, over India and beyond .. guess that will not happen again.
Back to Melb asap !
P

pipme...my flight was with Qatar, mostly newish planes(A300's) and pleasant staff. Food wasn't to bad either.

We changed planes at Doha which is dry :cry:(economy outbound) however coming back was business class and you got free drinkies in the lounges :LOL: but served yourself. I know alcohol is against the muslim faith, and I am curious if they don't mind with other faiths as long as they don't have to serve it? does anybody know?

Leg room room isn't a problem for me, I often find the width more of an issue especially when trying to eat.

I agree with richardp on frisking etc, the more security the better.

On a separate note have any of you ever seen an American customs/passport control worker smile?

On a separate note have any of you ever seen an American customs/passport control worker smile?

Very helpfull bunch of guys :cool: but then I have an American visa and go through a different checkout :LOL:

The first time I flew into singapore the tannoyed warned about how strict they were about drugs and I suddenly remember that we was using our teenage daughters rucksack which she last used in india!!! well I knew that she had experimented with abit of cannabis when she was at uni and wondered if there may be something lurking at the bottom of the bag!!! but all was well and security was very friendly it was the Australian ones in Melbourne that proved to be the most officious very stern and unsmileing but we got through

Dave, my local back in the 80's was frequented by many Iranian students, they liked their booze and blondes ;) We used to josh them about religion - Must be fair they wouldn't be drawn, but soon learned the nod and wink, very West Country way of saying 'I'll do it my way !!'
-------------RP
The big red sign at Changi Airport -- 'Drug peddlars will be hanged' !!

I do not blame the Aussies -- they know what they have and are determined to hang on to it ( never mind drugs, just try taking food into Oz )-- Family there always remind us, "Keep quiet about this place when you go home, else we'll be inundated and bl##dy queueing for things like you sad barstewards -- you only live once, why suffer ?" ;)
-------------
Adam
....So surely, just so long as you are on an Airbus from any non-US airline, with no pilots in the passenger list, then you should be sound as a pound.....
Unless you see the flight crew pondering over the multi function buttons and switches... ummm ? eeny meeny ...

Monarch Airlines.

Now I will never eat another sardine in my life!! We had a row of three with me Julie and Will in seats and the (then) baby Matty on our laps. The plane broke down on the tarmac half way to the runway, so we had to sit on the plane for an hour w/o aircon while they fixed it. HOT? Phew!!

Best for me was Singapore Airlines, MAS wern't bad, but I lost my breakfast on a flight to Kuching because the plane dropped a few K in a thunderstorm.

But if I could, I'd fly Qantas - they've never lost a plane...............touch wood!

The yanks even cause aircraft en-route to U.S.A. to turn back, with no expense to themselves if they have any bells ringing on names etc. on the flight.

The strange thing is that there's about 0.5million people getting into the US over the Mexican border illegally each year. Homeland security? Don't make me laugh! :LOL:

pipme said:
on an Airbus Unless you see the flight crew pondering over the multi function buttons and switches... ummm ? eeny meeny ...

....or looking for the steering column!

I understand that the new Airbus will have gyms on board, i wonder if they'll let passengers use the running machines on take-off for those that like running up inclines? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back