Airline breathing kit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the Scott Tornado T5 helmet, currently used with battery-powered blower unit and wanted to convert it to airline, but don't have a clue about this stuff, so wondered if anyone can help.

It seems like I need one of these, belt mounted to connect to the hose:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/air-fed-powered-respirator-accessories/3243014/

But then what? Do I need an additional filter like this one?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/air-fed-powered-respirator-accessories/4250518/
Or is that just to be 'on the safe side'?

What kind of compressor should I use or will any one do? Is there any special hose I need for breathable air? Are all the connections standard?

Many thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
For sure this is out of my experience too but I'd guess you'd need a large compressor - the 1/2" BSP connectors on the pressure reducer would indicate that. The big hose needs to carry air at high volume and low pressure ( HVLP) to supply the head mask.
A filter would be essential too - you can do without inhaling tiny droplets of water and oil.
What size compressor do you have just now?
John :)

Hi Burnerman,

It did occur to me that there may be two types of compressor floating around, namely the type that spray all manner of crap into the hose because it doesn't matter and those that don't, however perhaps they all do, and you just have to deal with that with a filter.

Since posting, and with a bit more searching I found this: http://www.thermac.com/product/2-person-breathing-air-compressor/. I don't need to ring up and ask the price to know it'll be expensive! :D
It's almost certainly overkill for me. I don't need any backup supply, I'd just step out the garage if I started feeling iffy.

But the good news is at the moment I have no compressor. If I could buy one that did this job as well as other duties it'd be a bonus, obviously.

More stuff I found tonight, this thread:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/shop-air-safe-fresh-air-breathing-system-215326.html
And the Hobbyair system (but couldn't use the Scott kit, which would be a huge waste):
http://axispro.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

cheers,
S.

I have a 14.5 cfm piston compressor......these are dirtier than the diaphragm type which are cleaner and quieter. The piston type can replenish the receiver tank much more quickly though.
I don't spray paint anymore, but the air my compressor produces has a certain amount of water and rust particles (from the receiver tank) that would have to be filtered out.
The machines you see are dedicated respirators which will be clean for breathing, but a separate air supply would be needed for whatever it is you will be doing.
It's looking costly! Is paint spraying your intention?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is paint spraying your intention?

It wasn't for anything in particular: Carpentry, painting, stone grinding, tile cutting and just clearing out really dusty areas to name a few uses. Most of the time I use the disposable 3M masks but they become unpleasant after more than an hour or so. I got the Scott stuff off Ebay. I've used it 4-5 hours at a time and it was great for treating sub-floor timbers or other fairly static work but the moment I'm moving around much, particularly lifting anything heavy there's not enough O2 and I have to pace myself. There's also the fact that the filters are expensive, and you need three of them, and why would you want to clog them up with all the cr*p around you when there's clean air 5-10 metres away? It does look expensive though, if done right.

I use an air pump kit for sleep apnoea supplied by the NHS. Often wondered if I could use it while spraying 2K.....

I saw some useful info here: http://www.ishn.com/articles/99962-...g-air-system-for-supplied-airline-respirators
Particularly the CFM requirements: 4 min, 6 for sandblasting, 15 absolute max.

The Scott filter quotes 300l/m which is 10 CFM, so it would definitely do the job.
http://www.arco.co.uk/product?productcode=183700&OID=18331

But then I stumbled on this:
http://www.solenoid-valve.world/by-industry/food-industry/breathing-air-filter-set-04

And at it has some reviews!(y). It also lets you choose the port size.

So next I need to find a min. 6 CFM compressor, let's say 60dB noise level so it's nice and quiet, mains powered, super-reliable, and small and light so it takes up virtually no space in the garage. Oh, and it has to be cheap as well. hehe...

It wasn't for anything in particular: Carpentry, painting, stone grinding, tile cutting and just clearing out really dusty areas to name a few uses.
It sort of begs the question about why a DIYer would actually need an air helmet. Are yoiu really generating that much dust? As a general principle it is far better and safer to extract dust at the point of production with a properly configured dust extractor or vacuum than it is to use an air helmet - and your comments about filter costs tends me towards thinking that you have, or use, no form of dust extraction

There's also the fact that the filters are expensive, and you need three of them, and why would you want to clog them up with all the cr*p around you when there's clean air 5-10 metres away? It does look expensive though, if done right.
The filtered air approach off a compressor is commonly used by sprayers handling 2-pack materials in commercial environments. It requires something like a 20 micron coalescing filter (to remove oil and water vapour) followed by one, or two, active charcoal filter elements. This sub-system needs to be placed in line with a suitable bleed-off and must not follow an air oiler. You'll also need to be religious about draining the receiver tank each and every time you use the compressor to reduce water build up (an auto-drain valve is good for that) as well as keep on top of your comp[ressor air filter maintainance regime (as well as using dry paper filters as opposed to the older oil-coated wire filters)

J&K: I appreciate the advice and I hear what you're saying. My dust extraction is limited to duct-taping the Henry to certain tools when I know I'm going to use them a lot. I could do a lot more, however I don't really know where to start with it. I'd need something for:

DeWalt chop saw
Makita 18v jigsaw
Makita 18v circular saw
These all have different extractor attachments, two of them from the same company, in the same range!
Then there's:
Bosch 10.8v multi-tool for finer work, need some kind of hood for that as obviously no extraction built in, but dep. on what I'm doing it can make some nasty smells.
Bosch router
Bosch concrete grinder, another adapter needed for that - maybe another extractor altogether?
Soldering iron - many people just buy a fan and move the air away, possible charcoal filter to pull the fumes through.

So the above are admittedly all tools where extraction would help, and if I carried on wearing a respirator it would save my filters. But then there are other jobs where extraction is little help or impractical:

Any kind of painting
Clearing a room with an inch of dust on the floor
Anywhere at height

I think of extraction as being more something to prevent my tools getting showered and to ease clean-up rather than to stop things getting in my lungs, but I admit I've never used professional kit.

Last edited:
The turbine based systems are quite a bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbyair-Half-Facemask-40-Hose/dp/B00VGWQ48I

They do have drawbacks though, eg weight of hose, noise.

That product is innapropriate for its own description even! "This System is a must if you are working with toxic or deadly isocyanates materials and coatings"... but it's only a half mask. Working with those paints needs a full face mask else the eyes are exposed to vapours, and the nasties are absorbed through the thin membrane, effectively bypassing the mask and lungs and getting into the blood stream anyway.

Nozzle

That product is innapropriate for its own description even! "This System is a must if you are working with toxic or deadly isocyanates materials and coatings"... but it's only a half mask. Working with those paints needs a full face mask else the eyes are exposed to vapours, and the nasties are absorbed through the thin membrane, effectively bypassing the mask and lungs and getting into the blood stream anyway.

Nozzle

Fair call.

You can get full face versions as well.

My dust extraction is limited to duct-taping the Henry to certain tools when I know I'm going to use them a lot. I could do a lot more, however I don't really know where to start with it. I'd need something for:

DeWalt chop saw
Makita 18v jigsaw
Makita 18v circular saw
The chop saw would certainly benefit from dust extraction as will the circular saw. I'd say that the jigsaw is a lot more moot because they don't really generate that much dust on many jobs. In my environment (site carpentry) we use industrial vacuum cleaners which more or less all have a 35mm hose connector as standard - the Henry isn't to that standard, but firms such as Trend make tapered adaptors for all sorts of tools. they are not alone as this example (from Axminster Power Tool) shows:

Tapered Hose Adaptor 001 01.JPG

It may be necessary to form some additional chute for your chop saw using zinc plate or aluminium to better direct the dust, but that's a matter of taste. The vacuum you have really doesn't have adequate filtration for wood dust, though (we use class M vacuums in wood working these days), but it could be improved considerably by adding a pre-filter cyclone such as the Oneida Dust Deputy or Triton model

(cont.)
Bosch 10.8v multi-tool for finer work, need some kind of hood for that as obviously no extraction built in, but dep. on what I'm doing it can make some nasty smells.
Bosch router
Bosch concrete grinder, another adapter needed for that - maybe another extractor altogether?
Soldering iron - many people just buy a fan and move the air away, possible charcoal filter to pull the fumes through.
The router, I agree, needs extraction, but I use a multitool a lot and they don't generate a lot of dust, either.
A concrete grinder is a different kettle of fish and really requires a proper industrial extractor built for the job - it would simply overwhelm the Henry.

there are other jobs where extraction is little help or impractical:

Any kind of painting
Clearing a room with an inch of dust on the floor
Anywhere at height
Painting (hand) - leave the windows open and in extremis use an extractor fan. The biggest issue is volatiles and solvents and a through flow of air solves this.

Spraying - a different kettle of fish where full extraction and a proper spray booth are really a must to prevent poisoning or health issues caused by absorption through the skin or eyes. Sprying with LPHV outfits as opposed to high pressure systems reduces bounce back and waste and makes controlling of toxins simpler

Cleaning dusty rooms - maybe not a help but when sweeping out sites we use masks and spritzer bottles (or for extra large areas a back pack pump and a lance) to spray water on the floor which effectively knocks dust down. uzeful when cutting bricks and masonry, although electric tools MUST be protected with an RCD

At height - I wear a hard hat with built-in foam padding and a chinstrap because falls from height can result in the hat being detached from the head resulting in possible head injury (the extra protection, rather that used in cyclists helmets is also handy and keeps your head warmer in winter!). For use of cherry pickers and scissor lifts I have a Petzl hard hat with a reduced peak - rather like a scaffie's (scaffolders) hard hat

I think of extraction as being more something to prevent my tools getting showered and to ease clean-up rather than to stop things getting in my lungs, but I admit I've never used professional kit.
I think of it as something to extend my cutter life (by removing resin and pitch before it can stick to the tooling) as well as something which stops dust getting into my lungs. As a chippy I find using air helmets onerous over prolonged periods (e.g. 8 to 9 hours a day x 5 to 6 days a week) not to mention ruddy cold in winter.

A point about power tool extraction - most better quality power tools now have dust extracion built-in. Some (e.g. Festools) have well designed extraction which makes the wearing of masks mostly unnecessary when using an appropriate extractor with the correct filters

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back