Airlock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have got a flipping airlock in my hot water pipework (put new taps in kitchen-mixer type an hour ago) and now no water from the hot side - only splutters and then stops) - i know this is down to bad system design but is this a good way to get rid of it (before i do it i'd like your advice if i may?)

turn my affected hot tap on

put a hose on my garden tap and run it up to inside my cold water cistern, and into the cold feed tank connector and turn the bib tap on to force the air out.

is this an easy way?

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Place your hand tightly over the tap spout. Turn the hot water tap on full. Slowly open the mains cold water tap so that the water is forced up the hot water pipe ( not all over you). release hand from taps and hot water should flow better. If not try again leaving it a little longer.

Thanks it worked brilliantly, took a few goes but was good in the end - a great trick to remember for the future.
Would the same trick with the kitchen mixer work is say the airlock was with an upstairs hot water tap - or would that procedure be different, ie would i need to opening the upstairs tap as well???? What about if there was no mixer tap and just single pillar taps? Would love to know for future reference if i may if anyway is willing to explain ?

Sponsored Links
depends where the airlock is.
if its near a bath tap and you block the kitchen tap just open the bath tap to blow it out.

if they are single taps use a peice of hose linking the two taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back