Alarm and cameras advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we are building a new extension it seems the ideal time to look at a home alarm. I don't want to spend the additional money and annual maintenance of having it professionally installed so will happily do it myself.

Can anyone offer advise on the options available or recommendations on ones you have bought?

I have seen an increasing range of PC based systems that would allow us to monitor our house from the internet etc, can anyone comment on these? (We have broadband)

It would be nice to have a couple of cameras that would capture shots of visitors just for added security.

We live in a rural town with a low crime rate, however with the house in bits it seems like the right time to install something.

Sponsored Links
Not much use if they nick your computer...

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather have a normal alarm that makes a racket, or even a silent one that uses a company like ADT that will do fire monitoring too.

Although I'm sure you can combine a normal alarm with webcam/mobile technology for the best of both worlds..

BoxBasher said:
Not much use if they nick your computer...
Funny you should say that, I have contemplated bolting my computer to the floorboards just recently, after I realised all my music is on there, and the potential value of it, not to mention the potential for mischief - my itunes password, my diynot password, auto-buy on a couple of websites, the potential is amazing. :oops:

Sponsored Links
You can store your CCTV images remotely, I use scp to copy them to a remote server, that way if someone pinches your pc, they don't get the pictures of them nicking it..

JohnD said:
Where do you keep your back-ups?
funny you should mention that too . . . :LOL:

I will make some soon! But i'd rather they didn't get the computer full stop! I have a freecom 80GB external HDD floating around somewhere that i could put to good use!

DO backups - right now this minute, even if its only copying your most important stuff onto a stack of cd's/dvd's, hard drives are mechanical, they can and do fail, and if it goes mate, so does your stuff - ok theres ways to get some back but you shouldnt veen have to go there.

Back to the original, Azis IP cams are decent, but not cheap. If you use a pc, use a dedicated pc, not your general day to day pc. whatever you do stay the fick away from rapidos in any way shape or form.

Agreed a traditional alarm probably makes more sense, can anyone recommend any DIY ones they have used?

The PC would be an old one and could be stored in the loft etc where it is out of reach of the average thief.

Any suggestions on cameras/monitoring?

I would say its personal choice for which alarm to buy, but waht you should also consider is what if it goes wrong, will you wnat to fix it / have the time?

Wit one installed by an alsrm company you just call them, ask you local CPO (at cop shop) for a list of recomended installers.

If you do go DIY do not touch radio alarms

Sponsored Links
Back