Advice on which camera please

The biggest you can afford, but a good fast one - if cheap, there's a delay between taking photos and transferring them to PC takes longer too.
I would guess a minimum of 32Gb. This one looks good, and is often sold with that Canon - Sandisk 64Gb

Sponsored Links
oh, and if taking lots of videos is something that it likely to happen, bigger is def. better!

It says just the camera comes with it. You'd better factor in at least another £50-£75 for a case and a couple of SD cards. If taking videos, aim for a high speed/good quality card. 32Mb minimum.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about that website - the price seems a bit too cheap - its probably a parallel import. You might be able to get John Lewis to price match?.
With regard to memory cards, Any class 10 will be easily fast enough - you wont need faster as that camera isn't capable of bursting quick enough. The spec of that camera seems great, for the money.

Just be aware that the 18-55mm lens it comes with is very limited. However, when she gets a bit more experience she can look out for a 70-300 e.g. Tamron and sigma make good budget lenses for EF-S fit canons.

Cameras bags and memory cards try https://www.7dayshop.com

Number one rule when buying - trust your gut!

I think when buying from those websites, you lose the international warranty as they buy them in from wherever they can so if you get a fault, it is covered by their in-house warranty and I understand it’s a big faff to get it to them, get it repaired and returned. I see in the T&C's it states that the warranty starts on the invoice date so you are using some of it while in transit. I think they are HK based. Personally, I’d look online for reviews about the sellers before I parted with my money.

You've got 2 weeks until xmas, why are you planning this far ahead? Surely as a man you should be shopping on xmas eve and buying the nearest thing that fits your budget

ok getting a bit panicky about the website im looking to order from. I think its cheap for a reason. Anyone had any dealings with

https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/canon-eos-4000d-kit-with-18-55-iii-lens-digital-slr-cameras.html or

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/p...ith-18-55-iii-lens-digital-slr-cameras-2.html
I tried looking at these sites, the first took ages to load, so didn't even bother, the 2nd, as you say, seems waaaaaay too cheap. I know it's a present, but Jessops have second hand items & they come with 12 month guarantee.

The old adage, if it seems too good to be true.... Nothing wrong with second hand cameras if bought from a good shop. I would buy new lenses though, no fluff or dirt inside a new one :)

It’s £20 cheaper in Argos (Jessops will price match) which is still £30 above the OP's budget and he still has to get an SD card (and possibly a case). The OP did say he wanted a starter camera so if it was me, I'd go cheap and look at compacts that can be easily carried in a handbag. If his wife did seriously get into photography, then they could look at something better (but less portable) and perhaps sell on the compact. Don’t underestimate the aggro and inconvenience of carrying a DSLR around with you unless you are out on a dedicated shoot. Just my 2p's worth.

Last edited:
I'd source from John Lewis or Argos - it will then have a 2 year no hassle warranty (John Lewis). Both sellers will provide good customer service and you wont have the hassle of arguing with a seller if your camera is dead on arrival.

While reliable - DSLR can easily be damaged during manufacture, you've no idea if you are buying a b-grade + if that site is shipping from HK then you've VAT and Duty on top, if it gets picked up during shipping.

Avoid - starter cameras, bridge cameras etc - no better than an iPhone and wont let your learn 'proper' photography. That 4000D has a DIGIC 4+ processor and while its old, it was the processor that launched the original 7D, which was camera of choice for sports photographers and semi pros when it came out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back