Adding security cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being a bit of a computer junkie, I'd like to monitor my house using a number of fixed cameras, connected to a PC, and have the PC monitor the camera for movement. When movement is detected, I want to start capturing video or a series of photos and have the PC email then to me, or upload them to a website and then send me an SMS or something to say an intruder in in the garden or whatever.

Can anyone suggest some suitable computer software and/or camera system. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Sponsored Links
Hi Shane

I got something of a magazine cover CD last year called Crime Catcher, which does what you want. Never actually tried it though. I can send it to you if you want by email (3MB).

Ben

For what it is worth i have seen some one who has done similar to what you want to do. How ever he used cctv cameras and a special "video input card" one input being for each camera.

The problem he soon found was that with a garden if a cat came in it then "went into alarm" (so there was no point in being notified by text to say you had a cat in the garden, which he only found out after racing back home since he had been sent an alert) although the software he had allowed you to select which area on which camera to monitor, he also had the problem of swaying trees, he initialy set it to ignore this, but if the trees moved too far to one side it still "went into alarm"

In the end he just let the pc record it all day.

The reason he used cctv cameras was the resolution of the camera he found that a "webcam" did not give a good enough resolution for what he wanted.

Obviously it depends on what the software can / can not do. but good luck.

Sponsored Links
Not to clued up on CCTV but I know you can get an IP addressable multiplexer...........connect your cameras to it and watch the images through your work PC (dial up networking)

il78,

That sort of assumes you have a permanent connection to the internet. I'm after something that would startup and shut down a dial up connection. However, the IP addressable multiplexer sounds interesting. Do you have a link to it? Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

The program doesn't support emailing the photo to an internet server, or even opening and closing a dial up link. It doesn't support multiple cameras either. However, for $20, it looks like you get a pretty good program.

Are there any betters one on the market?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

as i said, i have seen one that does that AND supports multiple cameras, but it needs a special video input card that they supply, its like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Try a search engine and see what you can find

Multiplexer can be dial up does not have to be broad-band......try these guys www.mas-uk.co.uk probably best to speak to them on 0151 630 0000.........but as I said I'm not that clued up on them but Moreton Alarm Supplies (MAS) are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back