IP-based security for beginners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing some work on the house and it struck me (or my wife!) that now would be a good time to get some security in. From my point of view, this is as much about my family's peace of mind as any actual deterrent/response functionality.

I think I'd go for a fairly basic NSI-style system augmented by a bit of a homebrew PC-based affair.

Looks like this isn't the ideal place to discuss it, so I'd welcome suggestions of more suitable forums, but in the meantime, here are some thoughts:

- Basic alarm with internal and external bell boxes) to NSI standards
- I'd like to have remote access (maybe via smart phone app, or just web browser) to see cameras (maybe we'd have a couple outside and a couple inside)
- I'd like to be able to hear what's going on in the house, as well as "talk" to any intruder
- External PIR (or equivalent)
- I'd like to be able to control power sockets remotely or to a schedule
- Notification via email/SMS of unusual activity (perhaps to include power cuts, funny noises, as well as visual movement)
- Link from unusual activity detection to fake dog barking.
- I'm interested in some sort of monitoring service to augment my own monitoring

Monitoring Zones:
- Front garden/porch
- Rear garden/patio
- Roof of ground floor extension
- Ground floor hallway
- First floor hallway

Sillier options
- Remote control of a smoke machine (one could pretend that a noxious gas was being released!)

Sponsored Links
Well your basic system wont do that.

So you were right .

But the rest is fairly easy.

Sponsored Links
Larger Galaxy GD series or Texecom Premier panels. Although Galaxy will not support private individuals. Ethernet connection. Input/output modules for various triggers ect.
Sound board ( easy way to call it interfaces with the panel, think the Premier can do this if not its Galaxy) with mics and speakers.

CCTV DVR with Ethernet, all the cameras it supports. Again inputs/outputs for talking to the alarm.

Dualcom ( you would need NSI/SSAIB for this for Primary monitoring (Police)

Smokecloak or similar for the Fog Machine, be careful you can trigger in error playing about and can see fuc all for a while :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

External grade detection for outside and lighting. Another Input/ouput for links to the alarm.

Stupid loudspeaker with dog barks.

Got a few grand to spend?

Smoke cloak in a house? FFS - get a dummy box for a fiver. You'll get 90% of your deterrence with that.

Why do you expect everyone should do what you say Joe, your really getting boring.

Do you know why the OP wants this, or what he is protecting?
Or what his insurers say?

Zeesus this stuck record needs changing.

Well, the smoke idea was a bit of a joke - and not supposed to fill the place with fog!

But in terms of budget, I suppose I was hoping for £1k, and £2k is about the limit. I think two separate systems is most probably the way to go, with the majority of the budget going on the old-fashioned sensible part. I'm sure that a fairly modest bit of software could do a pager type facility. In fact, why am I asking? I think I may be about to write one myself at work (part of a VOIP PABX).

I do have an aversion to ADT, though. I think they're the spawn of the devil. any recommendations for independent installation and/or monitoring services operating in North London would be appreciated.

We do already have an external box, but it's old and looks it (even has "Telecom Security" on it - which was swallowed up by ADT a few years ago). Although such a box (especially if new and flashing) can have a deterrent effect, that's only part of what I'm trying to achieve here.

..and another thought about deterrents: Externally visible cameras might indicate a decent alarm system, but they might also indicate that there's stuff worth stealing! So perhaps one should be cautious that what might deter a casual burglar might encourage a more professional one.

Any thoughts here on that point?

NSI site will get a company in north London, we are not allowed to give out names. But look for a mans name in North London.

Your dummy bell box could be fitted with a pair of alternating LEDs which change flash rate or pattern when a PIR detects someone approaching the house.

Deterent is often the best protection (after impenetrable doors and windows) against all but the most determined.

Oh I get it.
You think I have something to do with them. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Nope, they are on the OP`s doorstep and quite good.
If you knew anything about NACOSS companies you would know their general locations within the area you work :D

I can warn the directors and head of sales though about impending crank calls and spam mail if you want ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back