Moved in - New Alarm Required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've just bought a place and it's got no alarm system. I urgently require a wired alarm that I can install myself to cover the whole of ground floor as well as the garage. I have some basic education of installing an alarm, but I'd rather be sceptical and say that I know very little.

Here is my layout. Sorry it's not the best of drawings:

Image1.jpg

My budget is pretty tight (£350 max) and this is one of the main reasons why I plan to install it myself. Can you please recommend me a wired alarm system which would cover these areas and can either EMAIL or SMS in the event of an intrusion?

FYI, the control panel/keypad would be in the hallway, behind the front door.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Premier 24 kit is going to be your best bet on that budget , but you might find the programming a bit too much for you , that's got sms over pstn ( phone line ) via the comm 2400 but you can upgrade to GSM/,IP at a later date

Cheers buddy.

It sounds like a great kit. Is there a dummies guide that I could follow? If not, would anyone be willing to help me on here?

Sponsored Links
Thx sparky.

From the above diagram, what items would I need and how much will it cost?

Just an example , you will also need a fuse spur and pattress , I would probably fit a contact with resistors built in eg elmdene QST - RD and the DT for the garage does not need the antimask but that's all that was listed on alert electrical website plus you may need a broadband filter for the alarm .

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 489
Just an example , you will also need a fuse spur and pattress , I would probably fit a contact with resistors built in eg elmdene QST - RD and the DT for the garage does not need the antimask but that's all that was listed on alert electrical website plus you may need a broadband filter for the alarm .

Firstly thanks for the list which I think is excellent and affordable too.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but your instructions about fuse, spur, pattress etc have just confused me. I have only a basic idea of installing an alarm, but I don't know the stuff you've just described.

The control panel requires a 240v mains supply via a isolation device ... Eg a 3amp unswitched fuse spur

Also take a look at the Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 series. Prices:

G2-12 12 Zone Control panel £35
MK7 Keyprox Keypad £40
Internal alarm speaker £5
PIR Sensors - Around £10 each.
Texecom Odyssey 3E external sounder £30.
Control panel 7ah battery £15
Reel of 6 core alarm cable £15
Door contacts £3 each.

So, for a 1 contact, 3 PIR system, you are looking at £175. You can add a hard wired Ethernet IP module at a later date for about £50.

Hi Galaxy, why doesn't anyone seem to suggest using vibration sensors. I've had a couple of attempted breakins, but as soon as the vibration sensors have gone off, they've given up. The internal sensors will only go off once they damaged the windows or doors.

Both systems seem absolutely great, so thanks for your input guys. But which one:-
  1. is easiest to install and setup?
  2. would I get the most technical support from as a DIY installer? (When I say support, I mean from the company & forum members on here)
  3. has email or text alert systems?

Also sparky & galaxyguy, would the system you've built cover all areas of the ground floor?

Lastly galaxyguy, where did you get these prices from as I could find them so cheap?

Vibration sensors like the Honeywell Vipers are very good, but people tend to avoid their use, as it means cabling every possible entry point. This is fine in a new build or a renovation job, but not so easy in a retrofit. I personally have a viper with contact on the back door and sun room french doors. The sun room is also protected with a Dual tec PIR and break glass sensors - probably a little over the top, but I added during the build, so made sense to get everything in before the plaster was on.

These systems are fully programmable and have options for night/day set to isolate sleeping areas.

I think Texecom will support DIY, but as Mark has suggested, you'll probably get much better support from here. I know that Honeywell support has been outsourced overseas and is dreadful - even for installers to contact.

The Texecom and Honeywell systems are pretty similar and pretty good value for professional kit. I like Honeywell myself, but there are plenty who like the Texecom too.

The prices are from two main Ebay company based sellers selling new Honeywell kit. I have bought over 50 panels from them myself without any issues. The G2 series is Hybrid and goes up to the G2-44 (£75), so can add a wireless portal if you want to add wireless vipers to your windows.

Thanks GalaxyGuy and doggit. I think I'd prefer vibration sensors on the french doors at least.
  1. Can I have more than one keypad and can it be wireless?
  2. What if I wanted a very loud internal siren?
  3. Also which ebay company are you referring to? Can you post a link on here or PM it to me?

Last edited:
The Honeywell on-board PSTN dialler can be used in the same way as the the COM2400, sending SMS via Vodadone TAP. I wouldn't advise this route though, as it's old technology and costs around 17p per phone call/SMS - this is okay for the odd alarm trigger, but can be expensive if you want to test regularly or receive set/unset information.

These panels also allow IP modules to be added, allowing remote control over the internet and enabling additional lower cost messaging options (E-mail, SMS, Voice, line path checking, Etc) via web based self monitoring services.

With the G2 Honeywell panel, you can have up to 3 keypads when the IP module is fitted or 4 keypads without the virtual keypad. The Texecom takes 4 keypads.

I'll PM you seller information.

Cheers GalaxyGuy. So does the IP module have simcard option too? If not, would I need to go for a higher/better version?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back