Alarm (internal) went off when not set - tamper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got woke up with alarm going off, was just the internal alarm sound from the main control pad.

Had to enter my code to stop, it had a red light on the little hammer sign which indicates tamper.

I've had it a few times over the years now. Few months ago I went around all PIRs, removed covers, dusted checked micro switch, and was ok for a while.

I've had the main battery changed 3 years ago.

So to be honest the tamper probably isn't needed as if they are going to mess about with the outside alarm box which is high up in in trouble then anyway!

So is it easy to link out if it's this? Is the tamper worth it? Is it just one wire in the main box. Could it be anything else you think?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tamper could be bell box,control panel,keypad,movement detectors,fault on cable,faulty battery,faulty control panel.
Take your pick.
Depends on what is causing the problem will depend on how you deal with it.

Sponsored Links
Tamper could be bell box,control panel,keypad,movement detectors,fault on cable,faulty battery,faulty control panel.
Take your pick.
Depends on what is causing the problem will depend on how you deal with it.
But linking out the tamper gets rid of 1 suspect, in all sensors, keypad, bell box etc doesn't it?

The tamper isn't really important in my use I would say, so if it's this then be ok?

The battery in the main panel was changed 3 years ago so could test voltage, but should be ok

You can link out global zone tamper and bell tamper.This leaves panel tamper and remote keypad tamper which can not be links out.
Faulty battery can also cause tamper fault on that control panel sometimes.
Link the zone and bell is a start.

Well the pain goes on and on...

Linked out tamper for PIR and for outside bell box, checked all connections in main panel and RKP.

Been ok for a while then one morning outside bell box going off and nothing would silence it, or typing in code. Went off constantly, early doors, for about 30+ mins then stopped....the alarm wasn't armed and the internal wasn't going off.

So what can it be now? I just don't want it to go off again at the moment, so if I get ladders and disconnect bell box battery and the 12V feed in main panel to bell, would this disable the alarm for now?

After that not sure what is next tbh

Faulty bell box replace it
It's only 3 years old, obviously still can be broke I agree.

Just been up (shortish) ladder. It's a circuit board, had the 2 sounders plugged in so disconnected those for now.

All connections were secure. One thing noticed was where the cable comes out of wall into box, had leccy tape on. This is right where rain maybe could come down back.of box, poor install by a professional installer! Even if originally like that surely should have fixed that better when replacing my bell box.

What I couldn't find is a battery, would this have a battery in? I was expecting a big one like in main panel, but maybe a lithium one or something?

It's really warm at moment so not sure if is cable as went off this morning and wouldn't stop as above, unless they are corruded. Or as you say the box is no good.

Thanks

Sounds like a issue with the tamper switch
Can you post photo of the alarm back plate ?

Post picture of bell box

Sounds like a issue with the tamper switch
Can you post photo of the alarm back plate ?
Tamper is linked out. Originally when all in one piece I was getting tamper alarms when it went off, the alarm wasn't armed but internal would sound and show tamper (hammer symbol), would reset ok first time though.

Attachments

• 5CD52F2F-16ED-40F3-9797-C621CC4389BF.jpeg
    5CD52F2F-16ED-40F3-9797-C621CC4389BF.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 368
The tamper is linked out in the control panel,but not in the bell box.
Pyronix had a problem with tamper switches. Your bell box many have one of those faulty tamper switches. You need to replace the tamper switch on your bell box or link the tamper switch out in the bell box.
Because the bell box has rang and you could not disable it points me to the tamper switch.
What colour is the tamper switch ?

Ah ok. Yes I linked in main control panel TR and Ov.

The tamper switch you can see on the pic, it's bottom LHS and plugs into the circuit board. Not sure what you mean what colour is it.

Really hope its this, happy to unplug it from circuit board of it is, would that be enough for the system to ignore it?

Thanks for help

Attachments

• C47261D9-F6F5-49E6-84DA-1E4AA296405C.jpeg
    C47261D9-F6F5-49E6-84DA-1E4AA296405C.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 375
Buy a new microswitch of ebay and just connect the leads to the spade connectors
Screenshot_20190421-160908.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back