Alarm Keypad Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well this is probably the dumbest question I'll probably ever ask but given my track record in cutting holes in walls and then deciding on another location, I thought I may get a second opinion.

Going to reach my old wired Pyronix Sterling with a Texecom Premier Elite with their metal keypads. Didn't realise though that these keypads are massive - thought technology was helping to make things smaller!

Made a quick template and as you can see from the attached photo, it could just about squeeze between the edge of the wall and light switch.

I guess I am little limited in where it can go with the current wiring. If this was a new install, is this still the best place for a keypad? Not sure there are any rules other than near the point of access.

Welcome any thoughts before I start cutting holes.

Thanks,

Damian

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_213348.jpg
    IMG_20181010_213348.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
IMO that is far too close to the door opening. Somebody could reach in and interfere with it, either through the door or the letter box or broken glass. It should be out of reach, and out of sight, of anyone standing at the door, even if they appear to be an innocent caller who is interested in looking at your locks and security arrangements for future reference.

Keypad should be in protected area anyway , also 20 incorrect key presses should cause a keypad tamper

Hi,

Thanks for input.

Not too concerned with the threat of tamper as it will trigger. Is it standard practice to put the keypad very close to the door? The panel is in an adjoining downstairs cloakroom. The keypad could go in there, although limited in space or stay in the hallway but on a back wall near to the panel. It would be visible from the door though.

Thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Found another location in the hallway where we can get a cable from the panel to the keypad.

Only problem is that the position will face the front door from 2 - 3m away. There will be a PIR in the room and door switch.

Would this location be bad practice or acceptable given the protection?

Also is the standard height for a keypad about 1.5m? Higher than the light switches in most cases.

Thanks,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back