Alarm Panel Power / Ethernet Hub Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for some help.
Should I put my alarm panel on its own power circuit?
Should I put my Ethernet hub on its own power circuit?

Regards,
Mark.

Sponsored Links
No need, but if you can afford a battery-powered backup or UPS, it will be useful if and when power cuts occur.

A dedicated circuit is less likely to suffer nuisance trips. My own alarm is on a downstairs ring with the utility room, with washer and iron, and has sometimes tripped. It has a backup battery. My main freezer is on a dedicated circuit and never trips.

I am on the outskirts of a town and almost never have power cuts.

If esential circuits also supply something in constant use, you are more likely to notice a failure.

No need, but if you can afford a battery-powered backup or UPS, it will be useful if and when power cuts occur.

A dedicated circuit is less likely to suffer nuisance trips. My own alarm is on a downstairs ring with the utility room, with washer and iron, and has sometimes tripped. It has a backup battery. My main freezer is on a dedicated circuit and never trips.

I am on the outskirts of a town and almost never have power cuts.

If esential circuits also supply something in constant use, you are more likely to notice a failure.
Thanks for the reply. (y)
I'm going to have a solar PV with batteries so the alarm and network should both have back up via that.
Plus I should be able have an alert to my phone if either lose mains power (i think!):unsure:

Sponsored Links
You can get an inverter with a stand-alone battery-powered emergency outlet, but it is not usual, and costs more.

You cannot have a generator connected to the house circuits in a power cut unless they have been disconnected from the mains supply.

If your solar PV is connected to the grid it will shut down when the supply from the grid fails.

You can get an inverter with a stand-alone battery-powered emergency outlet, but it is not usual, and costs more.

You cannot have a generator connected to the house circuits in a power cut unless they have been disconnected from the mains supply.

Thanks, that's what I'm planning to do, have a system that will disconnect the vital circuits from the mains and use the battery in times of a power cut.
Not sure how this would work if an individual circuit tripped out though?

A true UPS has mains input to charge / float the batteries on and an output that is either mains from a converter or at the demand voltage. That ensures their is no power loss at all from a mechanical change over when the mains fails.

The latter is what I believe BT supply as back-up power where requested following change to 'digital' 'phone. Has enough energy for around two hours operation of ONT and router.

unfortunately, if the float voltage isn't correct when the battery power is needed they may have lost all capacity as so won't keep the kit running.

A true UPS has mains input to charge / float the batteries on and an output that is either mains from a converter or at the demand voltage. That ensures their is no power loss at all from a mechanical change over when the mains fails.

The latter is what I believe BT supply as back-up power where requested following change to 'digital' 'phone. Has enough energy for around two hours operation of ONT and router.

unfortunately, if the float voltage isn't correct when the battery power is needed they may have lost all capacity as so won't keep the kit running.
Thanks for that. I'll guess I'll have to look into the UPS route in more detail. (y)

UPS ( Uninterruptable Power Supply ) and SPS ( Stand-by Power Supply ) are very different items.

When the mains fail a UPS will provide power without any disturbance to the equipment it is supplying.

A SPS may briefly interrupt the supply to the equipment as it switches the load over to the invertor in the SPS.

Some items sold as a UPS are in fact an SPS . For most users this mis-naming will not be a serious problem but for some critical application the brief (*) interruption of an SPS may not be acceptable.

(*) If the battery in the SPS is not charged or the invertor in the SPS fails to start up then the interruption will be indefinite.

Thanks to all for all of the help! (y)

If I decided to take the power from another circuit then am I better to take the power from a lighting circuit or a socket circuit via a fused spur?
This question is for both the alarm panel and the network hub
I guess I'm just concerned about interference from other devices resulting in network issues / false alarms.
I'm probably other thinking things as usual :rolleyes:

If you have any filament or halogen bulbs left, especially downlighters or spots, your lighting circuit can expect occasional nuisance tripping.

Are all your circuits RCD protected?

If you have any filament or halogen bulbs left, especially downlighters or spots, your lighting circuit can expect occasional nuisance tripping.

Are all your circuits RCD protected?
All lights will be LED.
Yes all circuits on edition 18 units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back