Alarm Panel

I called at my local alarm store today, but he would not serve me as he will only supply to the trade. I asked where I could purchase a Veritas 8 panel, but he would not advise me AND also stated that they do not come with fitting instructions so suggested I should contact an alarm engineer.

I fitted the original system so I am not deterred by this chaps negativity.

Your views / advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Look on www.securitywarehouse.co.uk for kits.
the guy at the alarm store was wrong, all veritas panels should come with manuals and they are fine for DIY.
He has lost a lot of business there. no need to be negative.
Hey regulars, I bet he worked for aunty daisy! :LOL:

I called at my local alarm store today, but he would not serve me as he will only supply to the trade.
Had that before. They lost my business and all future business. Can't stand places like that.

What is wrong with trade counters only supplying trade?

The other place mentioned sells anything to anyone, but its not held in stock.
So dont expect next day or week :D
Personal experience and knowing the owners in case anyone wonders if I can prove the words.

Generally only high end panels come with no instructions, as we know how to use them. Thus stopping idiots trying to fit them.

Sponsored Links
Well the last time I looked my money was the same as a trade persons. I think they are shooting them self in the foot. They could be selling the same item for a bit more money to non trade. The non trade person gets a good deal and the trade place makes a bit more profit on the item.

And then tech spend all day telling JP how to change the time.
There are numerous reasons why high end is not sold to JP.
One is the regs we work to.
Some disregard these regs, some who should know better. But that is another story.

Generally systems should not be sold to JP. Take Thatcham alarms for example, you cannot fit one yourself.

Well it should be made clear only trade get tech support. I thought most panel manufacturers are like that? Except I think texecom tech support.

Well the last time I looked my money was the same as a trade persons. I think they are shooting them self in the foot. They could be selling the same item for a bit more money to non trade. The non trade person gets a good deal and the trade place makes a bit more profit on the item.
Actually, your money isn't as good as the trade guys - at the trade counters.
The comments alarm made about the other place are also correct. He relies on the trade counters holding the stock.
and yes, he white labels a lot of the stuff.

You miss the whole point of trade only dont you.

Not an attack, an observation.

Generally only high end panels come with no instructions, as we know how to use them. Thus stopping idiots trying to fit them.
Hehe, imagine a DIY install galaxy dimension with add on GSM, recare, 20 zones, 4 bell boxes and fire alarm system!

DIY does not make non professionals idiots. In fact some diyers may actually do a better job because they are not being paid by the hour. I don't disagree with your comments about more technical systems, however, surely the manufacturer has an obligation to ensure that the fitter is advised how to correctly install the panel. what if the fitter wires it up wrong (which pro's no doubt can and do do) and buggers up the panel, the manufacturer cannot rely on the installer not having followed the instructions should the panel be returned as faulty.

Even gas cookers come with an installation guide, despite the fact they have to be (or should be ;) ) installed by a Gasafe registered tradesman!

Well it should be made clear only trade get tech support. I thought most panel manufacturers are like that? Except I think texecom tech support.

We wont touch them with a barge pole after what they told a customer under contract (monitored) to do with his Prem after a CIE fault. Shame, good panels.

Actually, your money isn't as good as the trade guys - at the trade counters.
Hows that? Money is money. They shouldn't really care. As long as it pays the bills.
Missing the point. Just like those branch managers at ADI do when trade suddenly close their accounts because the numpty is selling kit to the diy'er who pops in to spend a few quid.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back