alarm questions . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My grandparents have gone on holiday for 4 weeks. Yesterday recieved a call from their neighbour to say their alarm is going off. Got there today, sure enough it is flashing away quite merrily. Went inside, greeted with sirens and bleeps from all angles. Put in the code as normal, and silence . . .

Now the Display has a fault light on, and shows c3. I was going to leave it as it was, but i dug around and found the instructions. Happens this state of display is a normal intruder alert on zone 3, not a fault. Why the need for the fault light then? Anyway, i put the code in again and this cleared the fault. The alarm was installed about 8 years ago professionally at great cost but it looks old. Why isn't there simply an "alarm" or "intruder" light? Fault would lead me (not knowing a lot about alarms) to believe the tamper loop is broken or something . . .

dsc001326vu.jpg

This thing is hideous.

One more thing . . . can the PIR sensors see through glass? Most of them in this house point at windows and i cant help but think someone may have walked past the window in the lounge (zone 3), checking up on the house and triggered the alarm (the front gardens are all open plan on this street). No cobwebs or anything anywhere near the sensor . . .

no panic buttons or even door contacts on this system :eek: Would adding a panic button be a DIY job? Or does this require an engineer?

How long do the backup batteries last in these alarms? Is this a DIY job (replacement)?

Sponsored Links
Scantronics arghh :(
They sometimes fault after an alarm as soon as you touch the keypad.
A PIR does not see through glass.

Spark123 said:
A PIR does not see through glass.

I got called out on a fault a few years back and that's what I said! Then I actually went in the garden and set the alarm off by walking past the window....................

Couldn't see any obvious damage to the glass. Changed the PIR. Sorted.

Very unusual though, I agree.

I once saw one where the neighbour was mowing the grass and the sound from the mower set off the minature water feature on the kitchen windowledge which then triggered the alarm.

Sponsored Links
whats wrong with scantronics then? (besides what i have already mentioned above :confused: ) a new keypad was fitted about 5 years ago because the code has one number twice in it, that number wore out :eek:

Obsolete,
Battery life (although could be redcare as well),
Spit the dummy out for no apparent reason,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back