ALARM SIGNAL CABLE 8 CORE as a telephone extension cable

Sponsored Links
Alarm cable will carry telephone service

BUT

Alarm cable is not twisted pairs so you may hear mains hum and other electrical noises. The twist in twisted pair cable cancels out most of the hum and electrical noise pick up/

The big problem is that alarm cable is stranded, several fine strands in each wire and stranded wire will not make reliable contact in punch down ( IDC ) connectors. Telephone cable is one solid strand and the IDC connectors designed for single strand conductors

Thanks for detailed reply bernardgreen.
I think I'll avoid it then. I'll get a new cable. Is there any particular type of cable you'd recommend? I'll have telephone, my broadband router and home alarm plugged into it.

Sponsored Links
or even CW1308

If you want the router and phone sockets somewhere else than at the master socket then this my be helpful to get the fastest broadband.

Put a filter front plate on the NTE 5 master socket to separate ADSL ( broadband ) signals from the telephone signals..

Then run them in separate cables to the locations where you want them.

Then you can have what ever you want on the telephone circuit without any significant affect on the broad band.

One source is http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

There are other source but beware low cost items bought from foriegn sources as some do not have the correct filtering.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/a...ckets-obsolete-nowadays.411292/#ixzz3CNaMdAt7

Q. Why are there different cables for different jobs?

A. It doesn't matter, use what you like.

DUH.

Q. Why are there different cables for different jobs?
Sometimes because of legitimately different requirements.

Sometimes just because different groups of people did different things for very little reason.

Thanks for detailed reply bernardgreen.
I think I'll avoid it then. I'll get a new cable. Is there any particular type of cable you'd recommend? I'll have telephone, my broadband router and home alarm plugged into it.
Theres two schools of thought on this.

One is to use "BT Spec" CW1308 cable. The other is to use cat5

Cat5 has a few advantages, the tighter twists make it more resistant to interference, the extra pairs are helpful if you want to do anything fancy (like single point filtering) in future and of course you can repurpose the cable to be a data cable in future (or even run phone and data down different pairs).

The downside of cat5 is it's a little more expensive, quite a bit bulkier and may not be quite as good an impedance match to existing phone wiring.

Personally I'd go cat5 but others may have different opinions on that.

Note if you do go cat5 make sure you buy solid core cat5 "installation" cable and not stranded core cat5 "patch" cable.

You may find that using CAT5 or CAT6 for the ADSL signal may degrade the quality / speed of the connection.

The ADSL signalling format is designed to travel best along telephone type cable with about 5 twists per metre. The much higher number of twists per metre in CAT 5 cable does attenuate ( reduce ) the ADSL signal more than CW1308 telephone cable does.

At the end of a long cable from exchange to house where the available ADSL signal is low level an internal length of CAT 5 instead of CW1308 may reduce the signal below that which the ADSL modem needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back