Alarms with SmartThings (Zigbee, ZWave) integration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont think this has been covered before, however I have asked questions on alarms before.

I've just acquired a Samsung SmartThings package which uses ZigBee and Z-Wave devices to essentially automate your home. The "problem" is that what I have, doesn't really cut it as a proper alarm.

Our doors have sensors on them to alert us when someone enters the house, but it doesn't exactly operate like an alarm. The problem we've got is that the sensors already in our house (PIR's and Door Sensors - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-...g-smartthings-motion-sensor-10136318-pdt.html & http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-...ng-smartthings-multi-sensor-10135909-pdt.html)

aren't exactly compatible with any alarm system I can find. The problem with this is that we're now going to have to double up on everything. 1 device for the alarm and one for home automation, as it seems the 2 types of systems don't interact.

I don't suppose anyone has a solution for this?

Sponsored Links
outputs from the alarm panels into the appropriate ZigBee or ZWave had a quick look an without going into specifics there appears to be plenty of options.

you can use an output/relay from ZigBee or ZWave into a zone to set and unset if you wish, as for direct coms using zwave or ZigBee don't know which if any panels offer it, I know there were taking about the pyronix enforcer possibly going down the Zwave route.

outputs from the alarm panels into the appropriate ZigBee or ZWave had a quick look an without going into specifics there appears to be plenty of options.

you can use an output/relay from ZigBee or ZWave into a zone to set and unset if you wish, as for direct coms using zwave or ZigBee don't know which if any panels offer it, I know there were taking about the pyronix enforcer possibly going down the Zwave route.

I've managed to find ZWave PIRs that can be powered by 12v, but non that actual interact both with the alarm box and other ZWave devices.

Apologies if that's not what you meant?

Sponsored Links
this may be better on the home automation thread.

If the alarm can interact using zwave protocol then its just programming the panel and zwave and using what ever interface is required.

If the alarm cant use the zwave protocol, then you would have to use outputs from the panel to activate in a similar way a light switch module turns the light on or off.

you would also need an output from the zwave module if you want zwave to arm and disarm the panel and that would be wired into a keyswitch style zone.

Depending on what you have and what you want it to control will depend on whats required and ho you can set it up.

X10 is common on many alarm panels and some panels like Texecom Premiers can use a simple or Crestron protocol to control devices/ be controlled.

But really all home automation is about switching on and off using one central controller/ system interlinked to many different systems.

if your controlling temperature, you have a thermostat sensor, that trips when it gets cold to turn the heating on, and off when its too warm. A gas sensor if you have a gas leak to turn off the main supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back