Ali-tube cable in domestic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used Ali-Tube wiring to BS 8436 GuardianTM, EarthshieldTM, FlexishieldTM, AfumexTM etc? If so how did the find it? I have used FP200 but never in a house or buried in a wall. If you did use it was capping used as well or is capping not required with this cable?
Eric

Sponsored Links
Have used FP200 buried in a wall before (fire alarm) - it is suitable for direct burial but I used capping to protect it from the dreaded plasterers trowel!

FP200 does not avoid the need to RCD protect the circuit in a domestic environment if that's what you're thinking ;)

RF Lighting I realise that FP200 is not always BS 8436 but I think most of the BS 8436 cables also come within the spec for FP200 I know Flexishield does not checked the other three makes. Spark123 I do see your point but I am hoping to find someone who has used it for power circuits it was easy in a factory with suspended ceilings to pull in FP200 and run it a few meters down a wall but trying to pull through 20mm holes drilled in the beams as with a normal house could be a completely different story. Also it will be thicker than the normal FP200 so may be harder on the other hand it could be easier pulling twin and earth through conduit is really hard but singles go through without any real problems. So I was hopping to find someone who has used it.
Eric

Sponsored Links
The problem with BS8436 is not the nail test, but the wording.
- FP cables must use a particular insulation to meet their fire rating
- BS8436 wording *specifies* a GP insulation, not sufficient for FP fire rating

So until BS8436 is reworded, eg, to specify performance rather than a specific insulation, this situation will remain to commercial benefit of a few.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back