Ali-tube cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone on here used ali-tube cable?

I've seen it recommended on here quite a bit, but I've never actually seen it for sale in our wholesalers or online.

Is it any good, and how easy is it to use? It looks like FP200 to me so I'm assuming the price and the stripping process is similar.

I've found steel conduit easy enough for keeping circuits off RCD, but I like to find out about new stuff.

Sponsored Links
Its just FP400 (and its clones) isn't it?

Think it might be limited to type B circuit breakers only, and possibly a maximum PFC allowed at the board its fed from?

... Just chuck in twin and earth and dual RCDs boards like the rest of us do rob :LOL:

Never used the stuff but I have read about it. I note power point from Pirelli shows this
and similar which is industrial rather than domestic. Pirelli do two grades Earthshield and LSX with two voltages Earthshield is 300/500V whereas LSX is a more robust 600/1000V. Voltimum have a little on it but you need to log in. FS Cables is more user friendly and more about it here although they say cost effective finding the cost seems hard to do. I did read on IET forum one guy did find a supplier and although dearer than twin & earth he reckoned that cheaper than twin & earth plus the extra for RCBO to MCB. I have failed to find it on Pirelli's own web site.

The Guardian cable from Batt Cables is very easy to access on their web site and seems to have max size of 6mm Afumex by Prysmian has PDF and Voltimum again have some info seems max size 4mm in one data sheet but 6mm for 2 core in another data sheet! I wonder if Prysmain and Pirelli is same firm?

Flexishield also list up to 6mm but say 10 and 16mm is available on request.

Where we have to provide RCD protection anyway I can't see too much advantage although it must improve EMC problems. However to supply cookers, fridges and down stairs lights it would have some advantages however each requires a different size so to have 1.5, 2.5 and 6mm as well as T&E on the van would not be that good of an idea and I can see electricians not wanting to add to their stock. All very good when it is for a large commercial set-up and where used instead of MICC it must be a large cost saving and being "Dressable" does mean it looks good.

I hope we find some one who is using the cable. As already said very like the FP range of cables and I have used that and easy enough to use. However one can't really drag into place in the same way as T&E.

I will monitor and see what is said about it.

See also IET forum here and here on same subject

Voltimum quote £301.17 for 100m at 1.5mm and T&E by same firm costs £1380.28 so working on those prices BS 8436 cable is cheaper. But even screwfix list twin & earth at £24.98 so something wrong there!

Thought I'd resurrect this old topic.

Following a recent discussion, it seems many of us, including myself, don't know much about it, or used it, or even seen it.

There is little about it on the net, and research only seemed to bring me here.

Wholesalers don't know what it is, and palm me off with SY flex.

Was beginning to wonder if this stuff actually exists.

Sponsored Links
Back in 2009 it was hailed as the way around RCD protection of cables buried in walls and claimed designed for that use. It is easier to use than mineral cable and has been used instead of mineral but as far as domestic goes it was a flop. As you say to buy you have to buy a whole role and it's expensive. There have been some internet adverts for short lengths but most electricians want cable now not a week latter by parcel delivery which always seem to come when your at work not at home to accept them.

With amendment 3 the use of plastic stuffing glands has been questioned and so I for one would not go out of my way to get Ali-tube cable.

It is of course a valid alternative and it's existence means you can't use not enough room to fit SWA as an excuse for using incorrect cable concealed in a wall. I have never understood why SY flex can't be concealed in a wall without RCD protection but it's not included in the list of cables.

I seem to remember that amendment 3 has changed the rules on supplying items like a fridge or freezer with a non RCD protected socket? So although claimed to be designed for cables concealed in a wall now it's used for cables in full view as it can be dressed like mineral cables and looks better when cables as seen. And is far easier to install to mineral cables.

The inner cores are loose within the outer covering. CPC is tinned copper, uninsulated. ... Rather expensive and unpleasant to use, offers little or nothing than can't be done with other cables.
The aluminium sheath presumably has to be earthed - how does one achieve that if it is fitted with just 'nylon glands'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back