Aligning Shower Arm and Wall Mounted Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

With reference to the following thread:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bbathroom-fitting-need-advice.381358/

I understand that I can do away with the locking nuts on the back of the arms, as this is only if I have access to the back of the partition wall, and its fine to have them supported by a (firmly fit!) wall plate elbow.

My question is, how do you make sure the taps/shower arm are pointing in the right direction (ie downwards) when they are snatched tight? They have no rubbers so need to be pretty tight to prevent leaks, but if that point is when the tap is pointing towards say 9oclock, then im never going to rotate it another 270degrees, and I cant turn it back as this would leak!

I also cant first fix the elbow with the arm attached as there will be the thickness of tiles to contend with also!

What do all the competent plumbers on here recommend??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Loctite 55 - you don't need to screw the arm in all the way, just enough to make a seal

As for the wall mounted taps, need info on what taps you have

Is the Loctite 55 basically a better version of PTFE?

The taps are the following:

http://www.hudsonreed.co.uk/products/taps/tec-single-lever/wall-mounted-basin-mixer-PN381
http://www.bigbathroomshop.co.uk/Ta...Xv3orw6JEtvFWj9v-w_wCxoCF0nw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are actually a different problem thinking about it because theyre more like an 1.25 - 1.5" thread on them (with flexies through the centre of that) with a large nut to fix to the wall - so cant use an elbow and so would have to use the nut. How do I do this without access to the other side of the stud?!! Really dont want to go knocking through the bedroom wall just for two taps!

Yes, L55 is like PTFE, only much much better.

Hmm, beware of Hudson Reed kit - that 20 year warranty only covers the finish, and not the cartridge inside the tap. It's fine while it's working, but getting spares for it might be tricky. Probably worth buying a second tap for when the cartridge wears out, just in case they discontinue the tap in the meantime

As for fixing it, can you cut a hole either above or below, fix it through, patch the hole then tile over the hole?

Sponsored Links
Great tip on the tap, it's a family friends tap so I'll put it to them!

Onto your suggestion for fixing the tap, I don't think that'd work at the tap flange fits tight to the tiles and the chances of setting it to the exact thickness is minimal on such a tight thread? I honestly can't see any way of doing it other than making a hole in the other side of the wall! I was hoping there was a trade secret as a solution!

Great tip on the tap, it's a family friends tap so I'll put it to them!

Onto your suggestion for fixing the tap, I don't think that'd work at the tap flange fits tight to the tiles and the chances of setting it to the exact thickness is minimal on such a tight thread? I honestly can't see any way of doing it other than making a hole in the other side of the wall! I was hoping there was a trade secret as a solution!
I think you've misunderstood. Tile up to tap level, drill hole in tile for tap, cut hole above or below tile so that you can reach in to connect, fit tap, tile over access hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back