bBathroom fitting... Need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

2.5 weeks till move in to this house and still no bathroom, Ive first fixed the water supplies to toilet and sink and bath and shower, the mixer valve is a 3 tap recessed valve which had to be set back between certain measurments which ive done, what is really puzzling me is the outlet for the shower head, (ive attached pictures,) the shower head arm comes with a 2" thread which has to screw into an elbow (i've also pictured) after tiling, however there appears to be no room for error in the recess of the elbow. Can i play it safe and bring it forward a little and if necessary can I cut the threads down on the shower arm adaptor?
Secondly, This shower arm, It appears only the thread itself will fix the arm to the wall, does this sound right? ill put a little silicone in it too i suppose.
Any advice on the fitting of this is greatly apreaciated guys, getting me strerssed....

Sponsored Links
I take it the elbow is that same as a wall plate elbow, i.e it has an integral back plate that is screwed into the wall as I can see a couple of screws in there? If so then that will be fine as long as it is nice and solid on the wall with the largest screws possible with good quality raw plugs. It only has to bear the weight of the arm.
A few turns of PTFE tape on the thread will be needed prior to fitting into the elbow. If you need to cut the thread, though it looks as if it is adjustable given that locking nut, to have the plate fit flush to the wall then shouldn't be an issue though the manufacturer should have it all sized correctly and their MI should show the placement of the elbow in relation to the tiled wall so it all fits flush.

Hi rob,

That's right, the elbow is on a flat plate fixed to the wall, there was no data supplied with the shower arm and I think if I play it safe and have it further forward I can always cut it down, too far back and I'm stuffed.... Long as can cut that thread should be ok.....
Did u notice the lock but on the thread? Is that fir fixing other side of partituon wall if applicable?

I take it the threaded pipe is fixed tight into the arm? Sometimes they are adjustable allowing the threaded pipe to be drawn in and out of the arm for adjustment. Where did you purchase the arm?
In answer to your question, yes, sometime these arms are fixed to metal plates or wood on/in a partition wall and the nut and washer would be used to secure the arm to that from the rear.
If you have to cut the thread then file it clean to ensure the starting thread engages properly, last thing you want to do is cross thread into the elbow.

Sponsored Links
1- secure the female thread VERY well its what will support the arm.

2- Yes you can cut the threads shorter to suit. To do this when finished screw the arm in by hand quite tight (BY HAND). Then measure the gap left between the tile and the plate on the shower arm (thats what you have to remove)

3- Throw away the check nut

Easy job dont worry

Thanks giys, got it from victoria plumb but no instructions. Puts my mind at ease knowing I can cut it down.... I can ring the plasterer now. The elbow has three fixings into rawl plugs in a wall. Should be sound.

Thanks again much appreciated, really

I love Vic Plumb, Im a pro and their gear is 1000 times better than most carp from B+Q/Wicks/Screw fix etc. Plus its a 10th of the price!!

Yes I fit lots of top end stuff (7K for a bath was the winner) but for fuctional well made cheaper end gear you cant beat em.

Oh and on the website most items have the instructions to view online.

And most people hire pros to fit (if they are pros they should know how to fit everything they sell) Unfortunatly for DIYers it aint good but hey thats whats this site is for

The good with the bad I suppose Newgas, personally I've not had an issue with them as I've not used them but know a fair few customers that have had lots of problems with them with non delivery, bits missing, MI Missing and then bad cust service when trying to resolve.
Just the feedback I've heard I guess.

Funny you mention that but I had a scheduled delivery yesterday, 2nd part if my order... Just never turned up, no e mail or nothing. Thanks for the help again guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back