Shower arm pointing up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First time poster, many time reader.

I'm installing a new shower, concealed thermostatic variety. I have a brass wall mounted elbow with a female 1/2 inch thread into which the shower arm screws.

Looks like one of these:
http://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/images/source/Plumbing/Outside_taps/15mm_BPE.JPG

Problem is, when I screw the arm in, the connector for the shower head points almost vertically up when it's tight. I can't tighten it any more, something will break. If I wind it back half a turn, it's way too lose and will leak. I can't change the angle of the elbow as the feed from the shower valve comes up from directly underneath.

I'm sure this can't be a difficult problem, but it's got me. Any advice great fully received.

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Use some PTFE tape on the thread so that it'll get tight sooner. You'll need to be neat not to leave any exposed and it might take a few tries to get the right amount of PTFE on it (more wraps = tighter sooner) but it should work.

Just gave that a go, worked a treat. I knew there was a simple answer!

Many thanks St0rmer66.

Now onto my other problem, will start a new topic for that though.

Actually, now it think of it, this solves my other problem too. Wow, good old PTFE tape.

Sponsored Links
I found that when I unscrewed the pipe, connected to the back of the showerhead, which has a male thread on both ends - and then flipped it and screwed the other end into the wall that the showerhead then screwed on properly and tightened facing down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back