All downlights gone off - dimmer switch failed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice.

The previous owner of the house I moved into 18 months ago went downlight-crazy, installing them all over the place. Last week, the 8 lights on the landing all flickered and went out. Being the landing lights, the lights are switched from both a dimmer on the landing and a switch downstairs.

I had a look in the loft and it seems each lamp has the main lighting cable going into a chocolate block connector, which then has both wiring to the individual transformer and another run of cable going on to the next lamp. With this being the case, I'm surprised that all the lights would fail at once. Wouldn't this wiring mean that a transformer failure would only take out 1 lamp?

If my assumptions are correct (which they're probably not - electrics and lighting are not something I claim to understand!!), having checked the main fusebox, what would take all the lights out at once? Would failure of the dimmer switch take all the lights out in one go?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Sponsored Links
The dimmer and any connections to the first light on that particular branch of the circuit seem like an ideal place to start looking. You can always replace the dimmer with a regular switch to rule it out.

If you replace with a standard switch and find the dimmer is faulty, check the rating of the dimmer (it will say on the back probably) and make sure it wasn't being overloaded. If all 8 lamps are 50 Watts each and the dimmer wasn't rated over 400 Watts maximim then that is why it died.

if yoou have been using the lights for the past 18 months with all lamps in place and working i would look for a fault on the wiring or the dimmer

Sponsored Links
You will be better off leaving them not working for a month - then check out your electric bill - you'll be amazed at how much you are saving!

:evil:

OK, I'll start with the dimmer first. Thanks. Can I just check though, if the dimmer failed, wouldn't the other switch in the hall still work, or would it make sense that the dimmer failing would take that switch out too? Do I test the dimmer switch simply by connecting the wires in it, or shorting them with another piece of wire?

Taylortwocities, you're dead right about the cost of these damn things. The guy put 8 in the landing, 8 in the entrance hall, 6 in each bathroom and even 5 out in the porch. Maybe he had shares in Powergen.

Replace some with LEDs - you clearly dont need the brightness, as you have dimmers. Dimmers do not save as much energy as the amount you dim. Dimming 50% may only save you 25%. Changing the wattage (by fitting LEDs or CFLs) will save real money.

Would not recommend LEDs......they would not give adequate lighting for a landing.

Would not recommend CFLs cos there is a delay in gaining full brightness.....again could cause problerms on a landing....and in any case you would need to modify the wiring as at prersent you are using a 12volt system

Just taken the dimmer off to have a look at it and there's a slight burn on the back and slight smell of smoke. The burn is just above the print "TUNGSTEN ONLY"!! :rolleyes:

Am now searching the web for something that will work with 8 50W Halogens and 12V transformers.

This might do it - http://www.theinternetelectricalsto...-iq-dimmer-white-plastic-white-knob-674-p.asp

Don't know difference between 1 way and 2 way though. :oops:

One way is where you only have one switch controlling the lights.
Two way is where you have.......guess what...
yes! two switches controlling a light.

You can install a 2-way switch in a 1-way circuit, but not the other way round.

You will eventually - might as well start now before you spend any more money on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back