Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Plus, I got some on the disc (how do you not without removing the wheel?)

I also think some of the finish has come off (nothing to do with the product).

Sponsored Links
Just keep on with the treatment - the deposits will go eventually but paint staining takes longer.
These cleaners are pretty aggressive and remove all carbons so your discs will show rust immediately.....being sintered iron there are free bits of carbon on the disc surface.
Wash the area thoroughly and drive the car soon after treatment to remove the rust from the discs.
John

Colour changing wonder wheels isn't as aggressive as the original acidic one.
I've yet to find one that betters bilt hamber.
Baked in brake dust may require use of a clay bar and some polish to lift it.

Sponsored Links
I bought a second-hand alloy to use as a spare (instead of the space-saver) and got it pretty clean with an off-the-shelf cleaning spray, plus a stiff nylon brush and a green scourer, working at a sink, so I believe that they will do the job if you scrub. I don't see how a clay bar could get into the complex casting.

In my case the neglect was so bad that I had it blasted and re-enamelled, including the inner surface, making it very easy to keep clean. It is much harder than spray paint. It's a Stoved powder coating.

Car shampoo and a soft brush are all I need.

I have also converted to EBC Red Stuff pads on my main car, which don't make troublesome dust. I still have some Wonder Wheels on the shelf but no longer need it.

If you patch up your wheels with a cosmetic paint, which is not very durable, the red pads may save you a lot of trouble. If find it much easier to work on a wheel removed from the car and laid on a dustbin or something at convenient height.

Last edited:
Tried it on the Honda.
Good, but there are areas that don't want to come clean, even after several passes.

This is the rear wheel (which was on the front)
IMG_20220819_101945_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220819_102816_HDR.jpg

I seem to have lost the picture of the front wheel (which was on the back) which came a bit cleaner.

Wondering now how I can shift the stuff left behind.

John, you said you used something abrasive. I guess that was on the wheel you had refurb'd?

Belle I shall try a clay bar, but I'm not confident it will do the trick.

Even some of the acidic products will struggle with that i think.

Mine were not that bad, when I refurbed them myself four years ago. I scrubbed them, rubbed them down, filled and smoothed any damage, then sprayed with a spray can of wheel paint, plus clear coat on top.

Sponsored Links
Back