Almost embarrassed to ask but.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am almost ready to upgrade my bathroom radiator from a single 700x500 to a double. I have just taken delivery of my new radiator a Stelrad P+ panel radiator.

My problem / question / query is regarding the 'plug' that is inserted in the inlet / outlet connection (where the valves screw-in). See my photo - I assume with the large cross section (A in pic) I just insert a wide blade screwdriver and screw that out, but what is less obvious is the plastic 'surround' (B in pic) does that have a purpose? or does it just get prised off too.

What puzzles me - and whats prompted me to write - is why should this fancy 'plug' and plastic 'clip' be present in the holes where the valves go, but nothing in the equally important holes that the air bleed valve and stopper goes.

View media item 38335 View media item 38335 View media item 38335

Sponsored Links
Oops sorry for the multiple photos I found uploading these not as straightforward as I have experienced in other forums (sorry!)

... and the 'lines' don't seem to appear that link A and B to the relevant parts of interest so I hope you experts can still understand what I'm waffling on about!

Just wind out 'A' and insert the rad tail (with ptfe and sealant, of course).
The other bit keeps the rad cover from rattling and can be left alone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Take the plug out... leave the other bit of plastic where it is. As far as I know it keeps the metal end plates in position.

remove the blanking plugs "A"

the clips "B" hold the side panels on

The middle plug just needs a biggish screwdriver to unscrew out.

The outer clip is upside down. Turn it 180 and you will then be able to pull the end panel upwards to remove.

just remove the plugs, the plastic around the hole holds the trim on so leave it in place. I have yet to find out why the top holes are left unplugged.

The plugs can be a bugger to get out with a screwdriver, I normally use a smallish chisel instead

I keep a few of the discarded plugs in my van... useful if you have wall plate elbows etc to cover before plastering or tiling work is done... but don't screw them in too tight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back