Alpha CB24 central heating stuck on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Arrrrrrgh! HELLLLLLP!

My boiler is doing weird things. Hot water is fine but the CH is stuck on all the time? Don't have a thermostat just a timer which has been switched to OFF since May? Noticed the rads were hot the other day so I turned the boiler to just Hot water but now it's doing it again even though its turned to only hot water? I know nothing about boilers lol.

It's an Alpha CB24. Any ideas? I've had to turn the whole lot off at the mains?

Sponsored Links
Its probably a faulty DHW demand switch.

But if you dont know anything about boilers surely you are going to have to call a boiler engineer?

Tony

Thx. Yeah I had my brother round last night who is an electrician but the propblem seems to be intermittent so it's difficult to diagnose. I'm just turning it on at the mains when we want hot water at the moment.

Sponsored Links
lol - I mean sometimes it decides to do it sometimes not. I mean, it friggin turned off so should never do it but if I run a tap it seems to turn on the heating which then stays on. but not always lol. Oh I don't know they just dont make things like they used to.

ooh. That's odd. The timeswitch has stopped working. Yesterday the display was faded as if it was running out of power, and now it won't work at all. It runs on mains but has a battery backup supply I think or something like that. That suggests either the mains supply has gone or the timeswitch battery/PCB has gone. Could that cause the original problem of the heating always being on though?

Oooh it's quite interesting this lol

Strawb77";p="999701 said:
Why not just replace the switch as I suggested? Of course it might be that the diverter parts are stiff and are sluggish to return.

Tony

Do you mean you have an easystat? They are always going wrong in this way either because people just don't understand the things or because they are actually a load of carp.

Made worse when the batteries fail within the first year.

But maybe (though it is pretty well unheard of in an Alpha) your boiler thinks it is freezing to death.

Don't know what I have lol. All i know is the timing unit thing in the kitchen which runs it is not working (it doesn't have a stat only a timer). Surely that can't be because the boiler is off at the mains? I forgot to mention the boilers in the loft lol.

Sorri I think I may have mislead you before with my poor grasp of the Inglish Langquidge lol

Does that mean no-one has a clue either then lol. Getting my dad round now he's back from hols, he's good with that type of stuff so hopefully will find out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back