Alpha CD32C Common Problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed quite a few of these over the past 2 years. They have been a great boiler apart from having to call Alpha out under warranty to fix about 5 or 6 of these. The spark Gen keeps going down on these. I have had 1 customers boiler where they have replaced it twice in the space of 12months. Now the rep told me that they had a bad batch of these spark gens but the problem is now sorted........A few weeks later and 1 more goes down. Same problem.

Now i went to service 1 the other day and if any of you lot are quite familiar with these you will know that the spark gen is wired up with the Ht lead plugged in on the right and the earth on the left. Now an engineer who came out to fix 1 said it has taken them 9 months to sort out this problem.....but they have sorted it out and he will guarantee it will be ok now. What he has done is swapped the wires around on the spark gen....Ht lead on the left and the earth lead on the right. He seems to think that this will sort the problem out once and for all.

Just wanted to share this info and see if anybody has any comments or simular problem with these. Now i know that there are a lot wired up the so called "wrong way round ". So maybe worth a go if you swap one to switch the wires the other way round and see if it lasts a bit longer.

Now this Alpha engineer might be totally wrong and it may do other damage but time will tell with his last job anyway.

Other than this spark gen keep going down they have been superb boilers.

Sponsored Links
Yes he is correct, the new ones coming out of the factory are wired in a way that looks back to front but is actually corrrect. That is the earth is on top right of spark gen ht leed is top left, thus causing the leeds to almost cross.

I haven't got my head round how this is better but Alpha did sample research before pubishing the new method, it must therefore make a difference. When I first heard about it we were told to do nothing, awaiting result of trials.

The inhouse guys are sent round trying different stuff and report back to the company, results of this are then fed back to us.

The other minor iritation, flow microswitch was improved some time ago, before I came onboard.

The new range coming out February uses different flow sensor, but I don't get my training until 30th so can't tell you much, but have seen one and it looks like a turbine flow sensing, motorised DV. More compact boilers, better casework, usual Alpha cutting edge inovations, like built in earthing busbar, strong jig that makes it possible to mount a boiler over place of old square flue boiler on same day (not having to use quick drying cement and return next day to hang new boiler).

As usual Alpha consider the Installer their customer, and continue to think of installer's needs.

Paul Barker said:
Yes he is correct, the new ones coming out of the factory are wired in a way that looks back to front but is actually corrrect. That is the earth is on top right of spark gen ht leed is top left, thus causing the leeds to almost cross.

I haven't got my head round how this is better but Alpha did sample research before pubishing the new method, it must therefore make a difference. When I first heard about it we were told to do nothing, awaiting result of trials.

The inhouse guys are sent round trying different stuff and report back to the company, results of this are then fed back to us.

The other minor iritation, flow microswitch was improved some time ago, before I came onboard.

The new range coming out February uses different flow sensor, but I don't get my training until 30th so can't tell you much, but have seen one and it looks like a turbine flow sensing, motorised DV. More compact boilers, better casework, usual Alpha cutting edge inovations, like built in earthing busbar, strong jig that makes it possible to mount a boiler over place of old square flue boiler on same day (not having to use quick drying cement and return next day to hang new boiler).

As usual Alpha consider the Installer their customer, and continue to think of installer's needs.

Which area do you cover when repairing Alphas under warranty? do you get as far as Burnley?

I saw the new boiler approx 2 weeks ago when Phil Turner (local rep) popped in to our local PTS to give us a briefing onit. One thing i forgot to ask him when i saw the new boiler was if they are going to be doing Weather compensation controls for the new range. If they aren't then it will be a shame as most manufactures are going down this route.

By the looks of the new boiler they have used most of the old CD parts apart from the diverter being different. But apart from the spark gen going wrong the CD32 and CD24 have stood the test of time so why change something that has a good track record.

Just looks a little more tricky to get at stuff than the other.

They have also tried to keep the controls simple like before but not sure if this is good or bad. I suppose i am comparing them to the Vaillant Ecotec and the Broag Remeha avanta which are both nice and compact and very easily servicable. Just have to wait and see how good the new model is when i fit one.

We have been fitting Alpha’s for about 18 mouths now, we have found them very good. The very first one we fitted the spark gen kicked the bucket, glad to hear they have found away to stop them failing.

I hope the new boiler is a little lighter, as the CD32C’s are beast’s to get up on the wall, and you always end up bending the front panel in slightly which makes and pain to get it back on if you need to take it off. Plus who’s bright idea was it to put the warranty sticker on the back of the boiler? After the first few we learned to take it of first thing before we forget.

We fitted a HE CB33 once every time the boiler fired up the fan would make the case buzz/rattle, the Alpha tech people said put something on top of the boiler, so we put a house brick on top of it. Sadly the customer died a few mouths after and the house was sold, god knows what the new owners think of why there is a brick on top of there boiler, never fitted another one, we only fit A rated alpha now.

Oh btw this is more first post on here!!!

Sponsored Links
No My territory so to speak is Whitby to Brid through Malton Pickering.

I end up covering jobs outside that area when they can't cover them, these are usually lpg jobs but not always. I suppose some areas the guys don't have lpg. Furthest I've been is Plateley Bridge in one of the Dales. Boiler was fitted by a Bradford based firm.

Yes Mehran you have it right. I wander if they will discontinue the band B stuff from February?

I am not a party to this sort of information any quicker than you are. The Customer Services Manager just sends me updated info like the reorientation of the ht secondary connexions on the spark gen. Haven't had anything since that. Might find something new out on Tuesday.

The new boiler is still accessible from easily swung out or removed side cheaks and all the parts changes possible are just as easy as they were on the soon to expire cdxxc range.

How many hellicopters have you got then? Have you sold them all on eBay for £100 a pop?

Actually I'll pop up a quick advert, since company people obviously read these pages, though I am quite busy fixing boilers anyway, it is my present chosen direction so I could handle Biasi Vokera etc repairs if you wish me to. Alpha don't object to us doing other peple's stuff. They really are very nice people.

Wish I could get the conract to fix Buderus off ov Worcester!

Are they worth £100? We just gave most of them away, my father opened one to have a go, he crashing it in to every thing, still have a few in the shed.

I got the dimensions of the new boiler in the pts trade prise guide, calling it cd35c, do you know if it has the same water flow as the cd32c or more? Also the alpha website does not work with firefox. Was thinking of getting some training on alpha’s but it is finding the time and getting down to Leeds.

Yes I was told they were selling for £100 a pop on ebay before Christmas. You might have to hold the remaining ones until next Christmas.

As I say training on Tuesday for me. Common sense would say yes they are using a suitable layered plate heat ex to coap with 35kw. I imagine as before CH will be capped to 30kw. Therefore we could also expect a 30kw system boiler.

Microsoft have ripped off Firefox the new IE has the best features of firefox, including the pop up blocker so I now use that.

I don't find the Alpha website user friendly either. Whenever I try to send a message to them it fails.

I do have the helpline email address but not sure if this should go on the public domain, if you mail me see my profile I'll send you it.

If you need any manuals on pdf or any set up information I will happily oblige. I did have a special book, but left it in a customers house. Fortunately most of the info stuck, and no doubt I'll get a new book on Tiesday.

Spoke to head honcho today, leed orientation fix came from the supplier of that part, and yes it has fixed it.

If you got a broken one it would want changing and leeds reversing to new positions.

All present boilers now orientated correctly. Would be worth checking on install in case merchants sell you old stock.

I haven't had many of these anyway and know of no clusters of unusual faults , they are solid design and Build quality. Not many installer faults either because they are installed by pros.

touches wood'

I have an alpha CD 32 and for 2 yearsbeen flawless :D

Im waiting for spark gen to go as ill be ringing the rep for one :evil: :LOL:

New boilers look good, went to PTS same as mick and its about time they did the packaging of them like everyone elses. compact and solid construcion.

Good warranty too if u fit the rear jig and cyclone :cool:

dan the man said:
touches wood'

New boilers look good, went to PTS same as mick and its about time they did the packaging of them like everyone elses. compact and solid construcion.

yeah got some prices today for the new range which are now on sale. They are quite a bit cheaper than the old range so they are little more competitive to other makes now.

dan the man said:
touches wood'

Change your leeds round Dan, grean and yeller on right white becoming red on left.

Paul Barker said:
dan the man said:
touches wood'

Change your leeds round Dan, grean and yeller on right white becoming red on left.

well yeah it crossed my mind.. but i thought after 2 years ill leave it..

but since u asked and im a nice guy ill do it for you :LOL:

Was reading the marketing for the new boiler(cd25,28,35c) looks useful, glad they made it smaller, lighter(from 51kg to 45kg) but some of the stuff like;

“The external case has also been completely re-designed and now features stylish curved edges”

what are they try to say?, it looks better then a house brick? And what is an internal pressure relief? When it get over filled it ****es on to the floor because normal boilers can do that. Saying all that paul what did you think of them when you had your training on them? Is the front panel less bendy? From the picture the lay out reminds me of a baxi platinum.

edit: it is not 6kg's ;)

mehran said:
Was reading the marketing for the new boiler(cd25,28,35c) looks useful, glad they made it smaller, light (6kg) but some of the stuff like...

Can you confirm Paul that this Alpha really only weighs 6 kG ?

If so I will get the 13 y.o. to lift them in future!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back