Altering a staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house about 6 weeks ago, and the next job on our list is to sort out the stairs.
At present we have an old style ladder staircase. I want to get the ladder filled in to make it more of a traditional staircase ( if that makes sense ).
Can anyone give me a rough idea how much I should be paying for this?

I have been recommended a joiner who I am going to call later, but I don't know what they should be quoting/ what is reasonable !!!
It seems like it should be a simple job of putting some boards against the back of each step thats already there.

Sponsored Links
Besides screwing bits of board/ply to the back of the treads ,he willalso have to fix the bits of board/ply to the tread above maybe he could sandwich them between 2 stripes of wood fixed to the underside of each tread.Sounds like such a simple job you could try it yourself.If you are not sure about quotes on time taken and cost I can only recomend getting three or more quotes.(1 good days work but do nt quote me on that ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back