Altering toilet flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a second hand toilet at the moment and it is constantly running into the overflow.

How do i make any adjustments to the syphon ?

The flush button screws into the syphon, but the buttons are set very low into the casing. They should sit flush with the casing top. Any idea on how to adjust ?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like the overflow problem is the syphon. If it's constantly filling to overflow then the fill valve needs adjusted.

I can take the lid off no problem, it is just how the buttons sit. Here is a photo of the mechanism.

It could be the valve needs adjusting. From the photo can you tell how i make this adjustment. I find toilets so fiddly.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
is the fill valve allowing so much water in ,that it reaches the overflow ? or can you see water flowing into the pan when overflow level is not reached .

I don't think it is getting to overflow level.

I think it is the washer as the bottom which needs looking at.

Any idea which siphon i have here ?

there is a water line marking the level on the cistern ,if it is filling to that level then you are probably correct in thinking its the washer on the bottom of the flush valve. I cant tell what make it is but most likely geberit they are notorious for little bubbles forming on their seals, preventing them from sealing.to remove the valve try turning to the left to disengage from the base. you don't need much force. if it does not move it may have two tabs. low down ,one each side ,that you squeeze to release.

Great thanks for that info !

I will try clean it up a little and see if that helps. Then get another washer on eBay.

Tired to get the thing off today, but it won't unclip. It is a turn job, but the base is turning as well.

I tried running my finger under the washer, but no difference.

I fixed one today, the same as yours.

Hold the base with your left hand and use your right hand to turn the flush valve, you should hear a click then lift up.

The one I took out was completely covered in limescale (washer). I removed the washer and cleaned it all off and refitted. No leaking.

Andy

you will need to tighten the base up or you will get water leaking thru into the pan, to further complicate your life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back