Alternating space saving stairs made from Oak worksurface

Sponsored Links
wow never seen stairs like them before. Looks unique buddy, and looks like alot of work going into them. however i wouldnt like tackling them after a night out. How much do them stairs cost? good job though buddy :)

Thanks for the comments. With the handrails its not as bad as you think. My 3 year old doesnt have any problems with it.

I did a bit of bargaining with someone from ebay who had some oak work tops that had some edge damage. It was no problem to hide the knicks as it was cut up into small bits. I used about 5m which came to £140. there was a bit of hard wax, some screws and 6x2 timber to support it. Not including the wall, I would say £200.

There was however weeks of designing it in spare time. It had to come within regs and fit into a space which (by a few mm) had to give enough head room.

After a night out on the booze, I would not fancy falling down them, you would not know your aris, from your elbow :p

Sponsored Links
No and yes. They needed to have non slip front surface on steps but thats easy to get round. Apart from that they fully comply.

Just like all the others ive seen. That orrible self adhesive tape goes on the day before final inspection and comes off 2 minutes after BCO leaves. So to be precise no, yes, no.

I will be bored if I get "its there for a reason" ;)

They certainly look different but I’m surprised they comply with the Regs. in other areas although I’ll take your word for it. You could certainly do yourself an awful lot of damage bouncing off those sharp corners after one too many :LOL:

Just like all the others ive seen. That orrible self adhesive tape goes on the day before final inspection and comes off 2 minutes after BCO leaves. So to be precise no, yes, no.

I will be bored if I get "its there for a reason" ;)
Not as much as we get bored of muppets whining with the regs! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Ahh didnt quite read that right. There are a few regs that are a bit nonsense. The last one I heard of was standard plaster board screws did not a head large enough to hold up boards fixed to ceilings and was enforced by a young/new BCO. Havent seen that reg, just what I was told. My biggest problem is finding them in the first place.

For the staircase the first criteria is it can only be used if a normal stair cant be used. The second is it can only be used to service a single room with a means of fire escape. It has to have two handrails but the bottom two steps dont need it. The handrail regs are then the same as normal. Max/min going/ rise which I think is slightly different to normal stairs-max rise=220 max going=220. The second to top step had to give head room of 1800(which was the headache to work out and get everything else to work) Landing had to be same depth as stair is wide(this was another headache as the far side of landing could only be 1600 which was fine as this complies with shoulder height reg. and determined the stair width. Apart from that its all normal stuff.

my only concern would be the fact the worktop is made from staves off completely random lengths so your bound to have areas where there are lots off butt ends in a small area causing a weakness and possible failure

the thing in you favour off course is the half span and thicker than required material

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back