Alternative foundation to concrete slab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm looking at building an 5m x 5m office out of wood in the garden, however I've just had a quote for the concrete slab foundation and it comes in at just under £500, and then it needs to be wheelbarrowed from the front to the end of the garden which is about 30 - 40 meters. So basically I want to try to see if I can find another way around it.

Something worth noting is, if possible, I'd like to get a proper pool table in there as well but they are quite heavy I believe. Also the current foundation is grass/soil.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you could dig a few* holes 1m* deep and fill them with 6 inches of concrete, then build piers with engineering bricks and build a framework to go between them above ground level i.e. a suspended timber floor.
If you're putting a pool table with a slate bed probably best to work out where you're putting it first, and dig some of the holes under the feet.
* means you should confirm that with a structural engineer!

There's nothing cheaper or easier. Buy some barrows and spend the £500.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back