Alternative to 'flame' for copper pipe soldering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I saw an electrical heating device that can be used rather than a gas torch.

I hate using naked flames and prefer something a little safer.

can anyone point me in the right direction

Sponsored Links
I think your right about the cheaper ones.

The only place I can think of that does them is BES. I will try another search.

Also very interested in peoples opinions on whether this tool is any good or not.

Just to confirm this is for copper pipe ?

I have the Antex pipemaster, It's been sat around in the bottom of the tool box for years. Didn't find it any good, takes too long to heat the pipe and results in leaky joints. Got me a nice rothenberger torch now.

Sponsored Links
I agree with nstreet, and have had exactly the same experience. If you want to have flame free fitting either use press fit which require an expensive crimping tool, or use push fit.

Agreed. The Antex one only just works. The Rems one is much higher wattage so stands a chance. You CAN get electric heaters which put a huge current through the fitting, several hundred £.

Get a Bernzomatic (as sold by Rotherberger as Superfire), and the smaller burner which gives a much more controllable flame, and some heat shields!

thank you all. Very useful

I am placing an order with toolstation.

They have several. But any recomendations welcome

I assume youve decide to go the gas route?

Here's the brochure. http://www.irwin.co.uk/pdfs/Bernzomatic.pdf

I have the TS7000-e equivalent, very good. If you opt for one of the cheaper models, make sure it will work inverted, a lot of them don't and tend to flare, not what you want in an enclosed space.

Can someone recommend a good but cheapish make, as going to be doing some pipe work but not loads of it and if it's gonna cost me loads then i will use push fit instead.

The TS7000 is only Thirty odd quid with a bottle of gas, IMO its really not worth going the £20.00 route. You can always sell it on after ;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back