Alternatives to a skip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have lots of rubble to clear from the back garden. There is a road but there isn't enough space for the Skip truck to reverse into the garden and leave the skip. I don't think you can leave the skip in the back street which will block the whole street.

Sponsored Links
we get all the shyte bagged,get every thing ready and get a skip to wait while we load it,wait and load service,

You will have to leave the skip somewhere else and barrow the waste, get a small trailer for your car or hire a guy with a van.

I was going to say Hippo Bag but by the sounds of it their truck would get to you.

Sponsored Links
I recently had a bathroom done and considered a skip the price was about £140 to have on my drive for 7 days. For me that was really inconvenient so I looked around for local waste collectors. A great little company registered (make sure of this so you know they won't go fly tip your stuff) came and took all the rubbish that I just piled up in my garage till it was ready for £80 :D

You could get some googly eyes and stick them on a brick, take a sharpie and add a smiley mouth and then give them to your friends and family as gifts.

images.jpg

If they think it's great they'll buy you something in return if they think it's rubbish they will throw it in their bin. It's a win win.

there are mini skips. Can they be delivered on smaller wagons?

Th
But even the largest Hippo bag says...

How much is "lots of rubble" @Kankerot?

Well I have hood a good look and at a hippo skip - i would say - hippo bag of wood, a bag for the units and prob a bag or two for the rubble.

Now the wood - someone has said they will take it away - they have a wood burner.

To the units - just mdf - so I suppose I could simply load them into the boot and drop them off at the council waste centre?

Which leaves a hippo bag or two of rubble I think.

You can buy the bags from DIY stores and pay the Ballance when you ask hippo to collect that way you can fill one and see how much you can get in first. They do discount multiple skips collected together.

When you say a skip wagon can't reverse onto your garden, do you mean the road is fine, but he couldn't swing round and drop the skip or just that the road is so narrow he couldn't get the truck down?

If it's the former, you could dump all your waste in a pile on your garden and get a grab lorry to pick it up. They are big old beasts, but if the road is a normal size, or even single track, he can get down there, spend 10 mins picking up your waste with the grab arm that can reach over your garden wall and then be on his way.

I had my eyes opened with one of these just a few weeks ago. A builders skip is £200. You then have to barrow your rubble and soil (which weighs a ton) up a narrow scaffold plank then clean and jerk the barrow handles over your head time after time...... or you can bung 4 skip loads of soil and rubble on your front yard just tipping it on the floor and get a grab lorry for £150. Saves £650 and swearing like a sailor. No brainer.

When you say a skip wagon can't reverse onto your garden, do you mean the road is fine, but he couldn't swing round and drop the skip or just that the road is so narrow he couldn't get the truck down?

If it's the former, you could dump all your waste in a pile on your garden and get a grab lorry to pick it up. They are big old beasts, but if the road is a normal size, or even single track, he can get down there, spend 10 mins picking up your waste with the grab arm that can reach over your garden wall and then be on his way.

I had my eyes opened with one of these just a few weeks ago. A builders skip is £200. You then have to barrow your rubble and soil (which weighs a ton) up a narrow scaffold plank then clean and jerk the barrow handles over your head time after time...... or you can bung 4 skip loads of soil and rubble on your front yard just tipping it on the floor and get a grab lorry for £150. Saves £650 and swearing like a sailor. No brainer.

road is narrow and no space to reverse into garden to put skip in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back