Alternator question

Sponsored Links
If in doubt treat it to a new belt mate.....everything else will be ok.
If the smoke is not down to a mechanical failure - bearings etc- then it must be due to an electrical one.....a complete short circuit, in fact.
My concern is that you buy another, kosher one, and the same thing happens!
There’s no way you have got the battery polarity the wrong way round, I guess?
John :)

If in doubt treat it to a new belt mate.....everything else will be ok.
If the smoke is not down to a mechanical failure - bearings etc- then it must be due to an electrical one.....a complete short circuit, in fact.
There’s no way you have got the battery polarity the wrong way round, I guess?

The battery polarity is 100% correct. I only disconnected the negative on the battery. And on the alternator itself there is only one clamp type positive cable and the other one is a multi-wire connector. So these only went in one way. The positive cable has a rubber boot cover over it and i put that back on too. I've read some people forgetting to disconnect the battery and shorting out a link fuse that connects alternator to the battery. So if it was a short then that fuse should blow right?

I've just gone out in the dark to check with a torch to see I have the belt on correclty, and yes it's correct, it hasnt accidently gone through wrong way or anything.

That would be a nightmare but then I would know for sure its something else right?

It’s only fairly recent vehicles that have a charging system fuse.....traditionally there was none.
What vehicle are we dealing with here?
Do check at some point that the push on connectors on the back of the alternator show no signs of melting.

Sponsored Links
It’s only fairly recent vehicles that have a charging system fuse.....traditionally there was none.
What vehicle are we dealing with here?

Its a 2006 Lexus IS. From what i've seen is that the cable that goes from the alternator to the battery is connected to some heavy duty fuse and sometimes people tend to not disconnect the negative and end up shorting the positive cable on the alternator to the ground causing this fuse to blow. I will inspect this fuse tomorrow to see if there is any damage to it. If the alternator was shorting or there was some sort of short circuit then it should have blown that fuse

Do check at some point that the push on connectors on the back of the alternator show no signs of melting.

I will check this possibly tomorrow. I may just return this and get myself the Denso one for piece of mind and after installing Denso if problem is still there then I know for sure there is something else wrong.

Good move John, do report back!
For sure, I don’t think Lexus would ever use an ACR type alternator.....I would think the alternator has a clutch type pulley?

If it gets hot enough to smoke, turn it off, lick your finger and touch it. You will soon know then you touch the hot part.

Good move John, do report back!
For sure, I don’t think Lexus would ever use an ACR type alternator.....I would think the alternator has a clutch type pulley?

Yes the alternator has one of those OAP or OAD type pulleys not sure exactly which one but its not a solid type. I managed to extract an audio clip from my CCTV camera which is on the other side of the house of when I started up the car and you can hear it on this camera so you could imagine how loud it was nearby. Here is a link to the audio track: https://soundcloud.com/john-roberts-867820707/pulley/s-XOBItqmjNEJ

Wow :eek:
The sound of a well stressed and knackered bearing, somewhere down the line!

So does that sound like bearing compared to belt slip? Before I started this job of changing the alternator car was super quiet. So the only 3 new things i've put in since are the alternator itself, new idler pulley made by NTN Japan and a new OEM belt. The idler pulley spins freely, the belt is OEM and the alternator is a questionable aftermarket brand.

That’s a mechanical squeal rather than a rubber belt one.
NTN are a first class make, so I’d suggest the alternator has been refurbished with a plasticene bearing :eek:

It's strange because this seller has sold over 60 of them on the ebay listing that I bought from and the seller doesn't have any negative feedback they have 100% with thousands of feedback. But strange thing is considering they sold 60+ they only have 9 feedback for this particular item. The silly thing about ebay is that the feedback isn't quite so accurate because if for example I return mine because of this fault, I then as a customer who returned it cannot leave feedback about the product because its been returned. So the feedback system is kind of flawed. Their google reviews are quite bad now looking at it.

I remember messaging them before buying and they said this: These are high quality aftermarket, they come unbranded to keep price down (produced in same factory as Delco Remy). We source them from the EU (We buy factory Excess stock)
So they mention Delco Remy, but the sticker on the unit refers to a LUCAS model number. They also said a full load test report is included with all alternators but mine never came with one but they say its standard procedure they would have definately load tested it. So a bit confusing.

In other words, the description of the product is open to question....factory excess stock? Yeah, right!
I’d suspect, with no factual knowledge that these things were ‘refurbished’ in some oriental sweat shop and believe all of their claims with a large pinch of salt!

factory excess stock? Yeah, right!

Is there even such thing as factory excess stock? Surely if factory produces stock then it can sell it on, how does it go from a factory product to a unbranded aftermarket to keep prices low

So i've placed an order for a Genuine Denso alternator, managed to get a good discount on it too from Opie Oils. Should be with me by the end of the week. In the meantime, the seller of the current one insists that it has to be installed by a garage and that i have to provide details of the garage, but ebay rules state otherwise and they are forced to take it back under ebays rules on faulty goods.

I also went to the car just to double check everything make sure I didn't make a mistake somewhere, but everything looks spot on. I even inspected the main fuseable link that connects the alternator to the battery. Visually the fuse is perfect and i tested with a multimeter and its fine no damage to the fuse at all. So I don't think the alternator short circuited or anything.

Sponsored Links
Back