Aluminium Primer, Knotting Solution and Water Based Primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the middle of painting all the stair spindles and rails in the house after having a loft conversion.

I have covered the original stained wood with Dulux Trade Supergrip and a layer of Dulux Trade Aluminium wood primer as the colour was bleeding through and I do not want to take any risks. I'm trying to stick to water-based paint, as I have young children (Aluminium paint gave no option)

On the new wood, I have treated the knots with Colron Knotting solution and primed with Dulux Trade quick drying Primer undercoat.

Questions....

1) Should I sand the Aluminium Primer layer before painting over with undercoat? I'm worried that if I damage the layer, the colour will come through. Planning to undercoat then sand

2)Will the Dulux Trade quick drying Primer undercoat be OK over the Aluminum Primer?

3)I have noticed the Knotting solution showing through the Water-based primer on the new wood. Will this cover up with more coats or should I use a layer of oil-based undercoat over the patches that I have applied knotting solution.

4) I'm planning to finish with Dulux Quick drying satin., probably two coats. Are there any issues with the following?

New Wood: Knotting (done), Primer undercoat (done), Two coats Satin Wood

Stained Wood: Supergrip (done), Aluminium Primer (done), Water-based primer undercoat, Two Coats Satin Wood

I could really do with some advice before making a mistake!

Sponsored Links
You dont need to sand the aluminium primer too much, only to de-nib. there is also no need to rub down undercoat too much -only to de-nib. I.E feel with palm for any rough bits and lightly sand. theres no need to rub to make a key.
If the topcoat is sa neutral colour (white) then yes undercoat, if your satinwood is a deeper colour you only need to apply two coats of satinwood directly onto the aluminium primer.

The aluminium primer would have stopped knots bleeding through without the need for knotting (future reference ;) )

Too late now but I would have coated the stained area's with zinsser shelac based primer. this would stop the bleed and beeen a perfect base for two coats of your satinwood.

Good luck.

i just painted some hardwood window sills with alu primer, it needed 3 coats of undercoat before it was truly white...

Jondes, thanks for your reply.

This is a complicated little project :eek:

The Alumimium primer has only gone of the old stained wood and the knotting has been used on the new wood.

I have started undercoating the Aluminium primed spindles and it is partially covering up the (strangly quite nice) silvery colour. I am now trying to decide if another undercoat is required or if 2 coats of water-based satin wood will do the trick.

I also painted one of the new spindles with knotting showing through and it seems to be covering up, so perhaps just 2 coats of satin wood on this will be ok.

Sponsored Links
undercoat, the aluminium seems to bleed through everything..

Also satinwood looks like you only undercoated the door. did it for my mother, then went back 6months later to gloss it..

Also satinwood looks like you only undercoated the door. did it for my mother, then went back 6months later to gloss it..

:LOL:

Think I said that before.. after standing back and admiring a waterbased satinwood job.. could'nt help thinking 'it will be alright when the gloss goes on'
:LOL:

Jondes, thanks for your reply.

This is a complicated little project :eek:

The Alumimium primer has only gone of the old stained wood and the knotting has been used on the new wood.

I have started undercoating the Aluminium primed spindles and it is partially covering up the (strangly quite nice) silvery colour. I am now trying to decide if another undercoat is required or if 2 coats of water-based satin wood will do the trick.

I also painted one of the new spindles with knotting showing through and it seems to be covering up, so perhaps just 2 coats of satin wood on this will be ok.

Theres no hard/fast rule saying you must use either one or two undercoats.. it's how the job is going. So if you think it's not goin to cover i.e the undercoat is not clinging to edges of wood (leaving the alluminium showing) then 2 undercoats no problem. Though it might not hurt to try a couple of spindles with the satinwood. see if that gives you the finish your looking for. Sometimes we would undercoat in a light grey colour over the aluminium, each job is different..

Happy painting ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back