Aluminium window - small gap between window and frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my windows has a small 2mm gap between the window and the frame:

upload_2020-1-2_9-4-56.png

The window opens OK, and the hinges seem to be fine. But the gap is enough to let a small breeze through. I'd like to get it repaired, but have a feeling it's going to be difficult finding a company or joiner to do the work. Plan B will be to try and put some insulation around the frame to try and stop the breeze.

You can see the window as a whole here:

Can anyone suggest a suitable approach to getting this fixed? The windows will all need to be replaced at some point, but that's for a bit later.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
FredL, good evening.

Suggest you consider fitting a thin foam sticky backed "Draught Strip" between frame and sash??

Upside is the "fix" is cheap as chips?

I have used this [short term] "fix" on such sashes historically, and because it is cheap, if the draught strip fails fit another?

Suggest you ensure the frame and sash are clean, then the strip will stick.

Caution, do not fit a draught strip that is to thick, that can further deform the sash and you end up with a larger gap ?

Ken.

Thanks @KenGMac. I tried one of those 5mm adhesive strips but it wasn't quite wide enough to fill the gap. I'm wondering if there is some kind of foam insulation I could spray into the gap until the windows are replaced. I'm going to contact local window companies at the start of the week to see if any of them can help (I have low expectations..)

FredL, good evening, again.

Suggest you do not try foam? because this material will adhere to both the frame and the sash, meaning the window will not open??

Back in the day, when Crittal steel windows were in use, there was a system where a strip of [De-Bonding] material was fitted to the sash and a "foam" was injected into the gap between the sash and the frame in distorted windows the foam then set and was "supposed" to fill the gap, the window section could then open because of the material fitted to the sash, it was not as I recall a total success ?

There are hundreds of various thickness and widths of foam strips out there, a quick search of the internet will produce various products.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again @KenGMac - for some reason I hadn't researched different types of foam strips, and yes, there are loads out there. This will be a good Plan B if I can't get the gap properly repaired. The foam idea was to seal the window permanently (not to be opened), but agreed not a great idea!

As you say you are replacing them anyway, just duct tape over the area? It won't open anymore, but if you're replacing soonish, that wont be a concern, and in spring you could just remove the tape.

eBay has every imaginable size of foam strip, so you can no doubt find one to do the job!

@phatboy thanks - worth though as I might not have thought of that! I put some tape on after making the video above as a stop-gap. It's up in the Scottish Highlands, which gets a bit breezy and chilly in the winter, so a combination of trying all sorts of foam strips + some tape might keep it going until replacement in a year or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back