Am I allowed to make neighbour's lean to safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC00126a.JPG

This is next door's lean to. Pretty grotty huh?
The neighbour lived on his own. Met a woman, got married and now lives with her. He only comes back about once a week to pick up his mail.
Just a couple of questions...... his lean to is built on to the party wall - is this allowed?
As you can see, the lean to isn't held together by much and is almost falling down. Sometimes bits of glass fall into my yard. Am I ok to panel over the end of this lean to to make it safe? I have a 2 year old daughter that I wouldn't want hurting due to falling glass etc. Also, the panel would look a damn site better than the current view I have.
I have posted the neighbour a note asking him if he minded if I panelled over it but I haven't heard anything from him.
So what's my standpoint? Is this a legal structure? Can I panel over the end of it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Perhaps next time there's high winds on a dark night, it will fall down? Best if you haven't been nagging your neighbour before that happens, or he might think you've done it.

I would put up a single fence panel so you can't see it, and the glass stays out of your garden, as you suggest.

I don't think you're entitled to interfere with your neighbour's property without a court order.

DSC00125aa.JPG

Not that easy to fit a fence panel without actually screwing into it John. And if I'm gonna screw to it I might as well just panel over it.
I don't really want to upset the guy, he's an alright mush really.
Do you know if it's legal to build onto a party wall like this though?

mmmmmm.

One of my previous neighbours had a broken-down Land Rover in bits in his garden (I only had ranch fencing). I bolted tall fence posts to the concrete spurs, and fastened my panel to thet. When he moved I unbolted the posts and took the panel away. (I was on good terms with him and he was a bit embarressed about the eyesore, but too lazy to do anything about it). Maybe you could bolt posts to the walls? The corner one should be pretty firm.

Otherwise, i suppose you could repair and repaint the nearest side of the lean-to?

Sponsored Links
Legally a party wall is a shared wall. Therfore any structural work requires a party wall agreement, if u want to cover all the bases that is. ;)

It looks like he's built onto the party wall BUT upto the centre line only. It's not as if he has built upto your side of the party wall. As it's such a small lean-to he wouldn't have req'd planning approval + therefore has built what he likes.

In terms of legal standpoint, my opinion is he shud have given u a party wall notice with dwg's of what he was gona do. But 99% of people don't bother for something like this. If u went to your local planning dept. they wouldn't help much i think.

Your best bet is to speak to the guy again (or post a letter stating what you are doing) giving him plenty of notice + then board it off without damaging his structure. Otherwise serve him with a Party Wall notice + do the works after the 2 months notice period - see http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1131402

have you actualy told him your daghter picked up some glass that had fallen

well not nessiserily true but unless you let him know your "EXACT" concernes are he wont know how much its bothering/concerning you

have you thought about covering the glass with clear sticky back plastic to hold any stray bits off glass in place!!!

Well I suppose the deal is about 70/30. 70% safety and 30% looks. I think that certainly it's dangerous, but also it looks terrible.
I think I'm just gonna panel over it and have done with it.

i would gingerly screw it on as it may fall down :D

the problem is your actualy trespassing by crossing the centre of the wall

not the crime of the century though ;)

DSC00126.JPG

Too late. Lock me up!
Bottom row of screws aren't up to much though - screwed into rotten wood :rolleyes: but it won't go anywhere with 2" screws in it.
Couple of coats of gloss and we'll be there. :D

isnt there a law preventing windows overlooking into other peoples houses

nice job
send him the bill :D ;)

big-all said:
send him the bill :D ;)
It's crossed my mind.
Fortunately the ply was free cause it was left over from replacing a panel in a back door today. Might bill him for the paint though. :)
We've been looking at that eyesore for the last 7 1/2 years. Half an hours work and it's much better. Wonder if he'll kick up a fuss when he sees it.

Tell him you boarded it up because some of the of glass was broken and you were worried about his security.

If you go and have a look now I'm sure you'll see the broken glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back