Am I allowed to replace my bathroom - rules and regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking to replace our bathroom suite which I think was installed when the house was built in the 70's. I would like to fit this myself but am not sure about the latest rules and regulations - I understand pipes have to be earthed, etc. - am I allowed to do this? I am not looking to change the electrics in any way.

I have looked at the existing pipework which all looks ok but I cannot see any earth wires attached to any of them. There is a toilet, sink, bath and electric shower over the bath (professional fitted a few years ago). I am assuming the rules have changed since the 70's and that I now need to bring this up to date? Is this a job for diy'er or does it need an electrician to sort it out?

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
If you wish to have the pipework earthed, then do the bathroom and call in an electrician to do it...

You could even put earth clamps on to everything ready and have the electrician run a final earth to your consumer unit.

The job itself is very easy to do.

Thank you for the info - is this something that has to be done legally now or can it just be left the way it is - obvisouly I want to be safe but I am thinking that we will have to wreck half the house to get back to the consumer unit in the garage. Thank you.

Pardon me for being 'vague' but its 'one of them'...

I believe, if you were to be doing this 'by the book' you'd have to do it, but there'd be no real need to, unless you were in social housing/commercial premises, in my opinion.

You could always argue, you haven't actually replaced the pipework, more altered it, and with it being your own home, I imagine it will be fine.

Sponsored Links
You could do this job yourself no problem as long as your handy doing DIY.. As long as no electrics are involved you'll be fine. As previous poster said, earth all the pipework then call in electrician to do the final earth connection. Aside from that everything else is just a case of taking your time, figuring out how everything fits, and if needs be, watch a few short youtube clips to get a few pointers.

If you wish to have the pipework earthed, then do the bathroom and call in an electrician to do it...

You could even put earth clamps on to everything ready and have the electrician run a final earth to your consumer unit.

Supplementary bonding is what's required in the bathroom, so there will be no need to run an earth conductor back to the consumer unit. If you're referring to the main Protective Earth Bonding on incoming gas and water supplies where the enter the house then that's a different matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back