Am I allowed to install timer for heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Would really appreciate some advice. We have a Johnson & Starley (J&S) boiler with a single timer for the water / heating. The timer controls the water in the morning which comes on early before we need the heating, so we have no way of automatically switching on the heating. J&S technical department have advised us to fit an external digital timer that would allow full control of timings for both water and heating. They have also talked us through how to wire this up over the phone (very helpful people). I have a couple of questions...

(1) Am I allowed to install this myself. I have installed sockets, lights, hobs, etc in the past but do the regulations allow me to do this.

(2) The timer needs an electrical supply. There is currently an electric switch that provides power to the boiler and existing clock - can I connect the new timer to this feed (I assume this is connected to the ring main but need to check).

Thank you for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
1. - You can install this yourself, however it is notifiable work which means you will need to notify the building control department and pay a fee before installing the timer. http://www.iow.gov.uk/living_here/planning/Building_Control/
The notification fee will probably make doing the work yourself uneconomical.

2 - The electrical supply for the timer MUST be supplied from the same one as the boiler, so that it can be isolated at a single point.

Thank you very much indeed. The only reason I wanted to do this myself was because the two people I had round (one a heating engineer and the other an electrician) seemed to have some very strange ideas on how this should be done. However, maybe I need to search for somebody else. Thanks again for the info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back