Combi boiler timer installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My let flat has never had a timer control for the Combi boiler. I am considering to install one to control the usage of heating. Just want to know if I can install a conventional timer myself or have to pay for a gas engineer or electrician to do that for me. Plus, conventional or digital type, which one is better or easier to install? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
make and model of boiler please

have you got a room thermostat on the wall? which make and model?

I got room thermostat on the wall but I need to find out the make and model, is it relevant? Thanks

It can depend as John says on the boiler make and model. Might be an option to fit a programmable room thermostat. Post photo if unsure.

Sponsored Links
I got room thermostat on the wall but I need to find out the make and model, is it relevant? Thanks

yes

post a photo

modern practice is to have a timer within the thermostat, which is probably your best solution.

These are the photos I can provide, hope it helps. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 20201020_174700.jpg
    20201020_174700.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 20201020_174733.jpg
    20201020_174733.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 20201020_174745.jpg
    20201020_174745.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 259
So there’s a few different types, you could get the mechanical timer for that boiler, but it’s probably a lot if messing around. Depending on the wiring for your existing thermostat (supposed to be 3 wire), your boiler thermostat connection is live and switched. You can install one yourself as the front cover isn’t part of the combustion circuit on this boiler.

I would fit a programmable digital thermostat.

You can get one that will swap straight in and replace your old one.

What it can do, is set your desired temperatures per time of day and day of week. So you might want the heating to come on at 7am on weekdays and 0am at weekends. Or you might have a late night every thursday. Or you might want the might temp to be 16C so it will only come on if there is a cold frosty night. if you have people round one evening, you can extend the heating time by 1 hour, or two, or three for a late night.

I still use a Honeywell CM907, but there are later and more complicated ones.

As you have a combi boiler, you only need one channel.

You can get a wireless of app-controlled one, but it will go wrong more often.

The easiest thing to do would be to fit a mechanical clock in the boiler, it fits where the round blank is on the right hand side of the bottom panel. The wiring is already there .

upload_2020-10-21_7-40-51.png

The easiest thing to do would be to fit a mechanical clock in the boiler, it fits where the round blank is on the right hand side of the bottom panel. The wiring is already there .
Which means I can install it myself? Because I am not living there so if I put on a posh digital one I am worried the tenant's will mess it up. How about the mechanical clock one, does it work well? Thanks for your advice.

View attachment 208676

Download the boiler instructions it gives you a step by step guide, or look it up on YouTube

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back