Am I being fussy about patio stones staining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a new sandstone pathway installed up the side of the house and meeting the existing patio along with some patching around some removed brick planter and replacement of metal drain covers. I was aware we would never be able to match the existing stones exactly and it wouldn't be perfect but overall I think he's done a pretty good job. The problem is the existing patio was regrouted alongside the new bits and there is a lot of staining on both the old and new slabs. He's used acid and power washed 3 times now and says it will 'weather' but it honestly still looks bad to me. So I'm putting it out there - should I be complaining about the staining on these? And if so, what can be done about it?

TLDR - Should I complain about the grout stains on this patio?

Image_20230907_151703_859(1).jpeg
Image_20230907_151704_232.jpeg

Image_20230907_151704_028.jpeg

Sponsored Links
eww, amateur hour grouting there. Worse than I can do after just one patio.

Thanks for the response, glad it's not just me being picking then. Any idea how it can be fixed? If 3 acid washes haven't worked

Sponsored Links
get some neat brick cleaner in a glass, a toothbrush and a small stainless steel brush, have plenty of water on hand to slop away the acid when enough has come off. then work slowly round with neat brick cleaner, when it looks ok wash away the acid before it moves onto attacking the grout and move onto the next few inches. settle down with a few tins of you favourite while you work...
try and keep the acid on the inch or so of cemented sandstone.
toothbrush to apply only a small bit at a time, stainless wire brush to mechanically remove the sand exposed as the cement slowly dissolves. a small scraper can work, but the brickcleaner will attack it a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back