Am I being unreasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had someone come around and give a quote. He quoted £8500 for the job. In my opinion he has only completed half the job that we agreed and has received £4500 so far. He wants the other £4000 but I don't feel I should pay him. Am I being unreasonable?

Here is a description of works that him and his friend did (upstairs), and there is about the same amount to do downstairs.

WORK DONE
• Put up 6 sheets of plasterboard 2400 by 1800 (free plasterboard in my garage) on denailed and prepared joists
• 25m2 - Hardwall & skim (walls all prepared and PVA’d)
• 25m2 - Skim wall (walls that were already boarded by someone else)
• 50m2 - Skim plaster boarded ceilings
• 20m - Put on new 7" skirting (standard skirting, like torus)
• put on approx 20m of old skirting that was in my garage
• put piece of filler wood to pad out 4 architraves
• put up 10 new architraves (standard 3" wicks architrave)
• Took down 30m mixture of old polysterene/gypsum coving
• Put up approx 70m of new gypsum coving (standard wicks stuff) using old dri-wall adhesive that was in my garage
• Extended 1 window ledge (glued a piece of wood to end of it)
• cut out 1 old pipe (took 10 mins)
• Prepare 2 lights and 1 socket ready for plastering – reconnect

This man is a friend of my sister so I really am not wanting to rock the boat but I do feel that he is trying to take me for a fool.

He is also saying that the price agreed did not include materials and that he spent £1700 on materials - I doubt this and think £700 is more likely - would you say that he is exaggerating the cost of materials used.

Am I being unreasonable NOT to pay him the other £4000.

Subsequently I have had someone else in to do the downstairs and for approx the same amount of plastering, I paid them £820 - this now seems like a more realistic price. For comparison, it took this 1 man 4 days to do the plastering downstairs.

Advice on wether I should be paying the £4000 or not please.....

-----------------------------------
THIS IS THE CALL WHERE WE AGREED WHAT WOULD BE DONE

He called, said £8500, I said too expensive he then said - £8500 covered “Everything you showed me from top to bottom, excluding the kitchen”. I called him back a little later.

I asked him why so much? He said “It includes 3 men, me, mr b and mr x for 14 days, petrol, B&B, all materials and if you want it on the books it’ll cost another 10% and then another 15% on top. We’ll work 4 long days instead of 5 for the next few weeks, that way it’s only 3 nights a week B&B, or otherwise it’ll cost you more in B&B.”

I then repeated and confirmed with him that it included everything I had showed him from top to bottom, excluding the kitchen, including coving, skirting and all woodwork so that it would be ready for decorating. He said yes. I then said again “Everything I showed you?” He replied “Yes” I then said “Top to bottom will be ready for decorating?” “ he said “Yes, everything you showed me, but we won’t touch the kitchen”

---------------------------------------
NB: During the job, they did not stay in a B&B which meant that they had to drive from SE London to Luton each day. It takes approx 1hr 15mins

Sponsored Links
Well, one of the forum rules is not to speculate on quotes, but I have to say it sounds like a hell of a lot of money for whats been done.

Can't see where he gets his figures from. Ask him for the invoices/receipts for the materials used, plus the invoice from the b&b he is clearly wanting to claim for.

I'm struggling to see that even £700 has been spent. I'm also struggling to see how it could take 3 men that long. I'm also struggling to see how "being on the books" would cost an extra 10%. I can understand the 15%VAT though.

Ask him to write out a complete invoice for the work completed, broken down into exact costings, and when you have got this ask him to show you where you have signed the contract for him doing it. I'd advise him that he owes you money, not the other way round. The final clincher for you would be to say that his workmasnship isn't satisfactory, and that he should chase you through the small claims courts.

If he is indeed a friend of your sister, I'd make your sister aware of the type of company that she keeps.

Sponsored Links
I could do what you've quoted in two weeks for £2K.

Tell him to get lost.

I live in Dunstable, I can have a look if you want. Unfortunately I would not be able to do any work for you at the moment, as I am a bit busy but don't mind having a look at the work some evening.

PM me with a contact if you need to.

I had someone come around and give a quote. He quoted £8500 for the job. In my opinion he has only completed half the job that we agreed and has received £4500 so far. He wants the other £4000 but I don't feel I should pay him. Am I being unreasonable?

Sounds like a ridiculous price :eek: and quite right he does not deserve the rest.

The bit I'm not sure about is that you say 'the job that we agreed'.
A high price or not, and only verbally, but not sure what the legal point of view is.
I'm sure the pros are more experienced than me on such topics.

I thought Dextrous's approach is bang on and is a great course of action. I'd perhaps leave off the small claims court bit at the end to avoid antagonising (well, unless it becomes necessary later)

Maybe your sister felt a bit caught in the middle to recommend, so wouldn't worry. I would definitely speak to her about it tho. I would talk to mine if it was me.
Besides, prob better coming from you direct.

I'm sure Micilin can help if he gets chance to have a look for you.

Would be interested to hear how it all goes.

Good luck.

yup...EXTORTION!!

can't see how he came up with that price, and £1700 for materials :eek:

i did a 6 week job refurbing a house earlier this year, new kitchen ceiling boarded and skimmed, studded and boarded a large utility and toilet and skimmed that, re-hung 2 doors, took double shower cubicle back to brick and re-plastered then tiled and fitted new shower doors, re-tiled splashbacks in kitchen, fitted new bath and sink taps, new vanity unit, new utility unit & sink, fitted new toilet in utility, re-boarded porch ceiling, float and set the porch walls, anyway, you get the idea and that wasn't quite the full list, quite a bit of painting too but even then i didn't spend £1700 on materials AND i bought a fair few tools too in that.

good luck!! hope it goes your way!

There's a word for people like him which refers to the female genitilia. As you, the op, are a member of the fairer sex, I wouldn't dare use it!!

Thank you everyone for the honest opinions ( and for respecting my inferior gender and not using obscene words :oops: ). I'm just relieved that it doesn't appear to be me being unreasonable here. Whoever said that "ignorance is bliss" is a liar, especially when it comes to dealing with some builders!

Micilin, your offer is very kind and I will indeed take it up. It would be good to get an independant and honest opinion here.

huh... didn't even realise you were a girl..

in that case..

"Get back in the kitchen and leave the money stuff and house fixing stuff to your husband..." ;) ( yes that's sarcasm just in case )

Funny you should say that - the kitchen is the next project...

...and I totally agree - ALL women should be at home, in the kitchen or ironing and leave the real jobs to our superior male counterparts ;)

How silly of me, a mere female, to think I could negotiate a price for a building job and NOT get ripped off..!

Funny you should say that - the kitchen is the next project...

...and I totally agree - ALL women should be at home, in the kitchen or ironing and leave the real jobs to our superior male counterparts ;)

How silly of me, a mere female, to think I could negotiate a price for a building job and NOT get ripped off..!

Well, if the cap fits ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Didn't you hear the cash register go ping when he knew he was dealing with a woman?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back