Am I better off buying the boiler myself?

Sponsored Links
I may do if I find out where my inconsistencies are.
Not holding my breath though, or planning to spend much more time on unsubstantiated insinuations.

Yep ;)
Ok 2 standards you think are AT RISK no blow off to outside and no guard on flue under 2 metres really really basic stuff .
So if you dont understand the basics it very easy to condem something out of hand , far better to know what your talking about.
Moral standards and this job go hand and hand or it does with most

Sponsored Links
Blow off inside leaves a clear risk to serious scalding as far as I am concerned, but apparently does not officially qualified as AR.
No flue guard under 2 metres qualifies officially as AR, but in my personal opinion not a problem with a steamer.

I would be most obliged if you could tell me the title of the book, and if half possible, the isbn number; all I have is the little old corgi guidance booklet, and something more substantial would be most welcome.

The blow off pipe seems to be a matter of great confusion. I have heard NCS, which is what I always thought it was, but have also heard it has no official qualification, where others say it is AR.

The flue is defo AR, unless the corgi inspector who told me so at an inspection when it measured 1.97 was wrong. And he wasn't kidding either as he told the owner the boiler had to be turned off until it was remedied, for safety reasons. Can't remember if we actually filled out a notice.

try unsafe situations book edition 4 page 43 the first bit covers it.
Funny how you can remember an exact 1.97 but not whether a really iMportant thing like a notice was given.

Also basic is blow off valve to outside is a waterby law and not a gas reg so is not incuded in AR or ID.

Will get the book, if it is different from the one I have.

I would not have remembered if it was 1.82 or 1.74, but a mere 3 centimetres seemed a bit over the top to leave somebody without heating and hot water for the weekend.

Maybe I rememeber the case becasue the main reason she was complaining seemed to be to have an excuse not to pay the balance. Or maybe it was because she also complained about what the carpenter had done, and refused to pay that. And the bricky, and the plasterer, and the pointer; how unlucky can you be to hire a bunch of tradesmen, and they are all useless.

Maybe the fact that she was very rude and got lippy with the inspector about things that were totally irrelevant and that she was by far the biggest asshole I have ever worked for have something to do with it.

Maybe if she had not upset us so much, one of us would have noticed that removing the newly laid paving slab under the flue would have got her through the weekend without inconvenience.

Who knows, memory is a strange thing; some things you remember, some things you don't.

So what your saying it was an actual job YOU had just done and by your own admission you didnt even do the basics such as fitting a gaurd under req height no matter how much under.
If you missed the basics what else did you miss. I can see why YOUR customer was worried.

As for get the book . You should have the book i have quoted Corgi unsafe situations as it was sent to everyone only 2 months ago.

No gaurd is still only NCS no AR

So what your saying it was an actual job YOU had just done and by your own admission you didnt even do the basics such as fitting a gaurd under req height no matter how much under.

Maybe you missed the bit about the new paving slab?

Nevertheless, thanks for the tip about the new booklet. I only have the previous one and will check why I didn't get the update.

Odd to get a freeby from corgi, but stranger things have happened.

Just had a chat with GSR technical, and not surprisingly, it is not clear cut or black and white.

It is our call as the responsible engineer on site; and depends on how acutely dangerous the particular problem is, and which part of the regs you hang it on to. No surprise there either.

In general, an unprotected flue is considered ncs; I have therefore ordered the orthopedic shoes.

A wrongly terminated prv can be either ncs, or ar, depending on how likely it is that somebody gets sprayed directly from an overheat/blowoff.

A new guidance document from GSR is in the making and should be with us shortly.

So as i rightly said then it is NCS , As for paving slab from what you say the building work was all being done when you where there so an allowance should have been made same as you would if they where putting in a window etc etc after you had fitted the boiler. As we make allowances on possible building to boundarys

So going back to my original point where you constantly slag of fellow installers to the public on here because of price and job cant be getting done right etc etc . And you could condem it within minutes, Without even knowing or seeing the standard of there work

I would suggest you spend some of that money your making over and above those cheaper guys and learn the basics that way your customers will not be paying over the odds for what you actually know.

Or you wont bother as you have no morals where money is involved ......Your words not mine

So as i rightly said then it is NCS , As for paving slab from what you say the building work was all being done when you where there so an allowance should have been made same as you would if they where putting in a window etc etc after you had fitted the boiler. As we make allowances on possible building to boundarys

It is the builder's responsibility to make sure he does not do anything to contravene building regs, gsiur and what have you; that goes for flues, changing windows, ventilation and all the rest.
How often should we go back to check, once a month? Nonsense, job finished is job finished.

Or you wont bother as you have no morals where money is involved ......Your words not mine

Never said anything about money and morals.
I smoke, I drink, I swear, and hang out with loose women; it was the vicar himself who told me I had no morals, and will go to hell if I don't change. It is his job to know these things, so I presume he is not far from the truth, and I have accepted that I will spend eternity being surrounded by lawyers and politicians. And a fair few plumbers probably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back